Should I replace my boiler ? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Should I replace my boiler ? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve99

Hi,

I have a Potterton Netaheat 16-22 that has been reliable and is serviced yearly. It has just broken down and I have been advised that it needs a new PCB. The engineer has left me with an old but working one whilst he gets a new one. I expect the cost to be around £150 with any call out charges. I need the pipe work looking at as it's very noisy due to trapped air that won't come out - I have had it power flushed and tried many things to get rid of the air but I think it's down to a bad design.

Anyway do I take this opportunity to change the bolier to a more modern, efficient one ? I would keep the same 'heat-only' system but get the pipe work changed when the boiler is replaced and avoid cost for a new PCB.

TIA

Steve

if you have the money i would upgrade, new boiler, controls, magnetic filter etc....

Please be aware that your current boiler has asbestos seals and they tend to fall apart when removing them from the wall so care must be taken when removing. see the manufactures instructions for details.

Change the boiler, but first I hope you have told the engineer not to buy the new pcb as he might not be able to take it back and you might have to still pay for it.

Lots of advice to change the boiler but why? Will I actually save that much money on my gas bill ? Published figures are about £240 per yr but that's the ideal and I don't think I will achieve that based on neighbours bills.
Spares are still available for my boiler. Life expectancy of new boilers is 10 - 15 years .

Same as DP
Run in to the ground, but start saving up for a new one now.

Lots of advice to change the boiler but why? Will I actually save that much money on my gas bill ? Published figures are about £240 per yr but that's the ideal and I don't think I will achieve that based on neighbours bills.
Spares are still available for my boiler. Life expectancy of new boilers is 10 - 15 years .

Honestly its not straight forward and theres alot to weigh up. Its very hard to guess what savings you may have in bills, it depends on alot of factors like controls, how its used, building heat loss,system condition and heat loss, rises in fuel bills being very hard to know as we may be paying 15=20%? more in a year or 5 years but we know its coming.

Other questions to consider are how many times during the warrantee period of the new boiler is the old boiler going to need repair? its already costing you £150, how many repairs do you pay for before you decide its worth changing? (hard to guss) Will it be cheaper for annual service on the new boiler? possible.

i agree its not a straight forward thing, so if you have the money i would consider it an option, if not start saving because it will need doing at some point, not all parts are available for this boiler now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
When replacing an old Certikin 180 oil pool...
Replies
Views
Back