Should I use washer or putty under sink strainer? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
Guest viewing is limited

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Should I use washer or putty under sink strainer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a bit of help please.
I have a kitchen sink strainer to put in. It came with a rubber washer that goes below the sink line and with a cardboard washer that goes above the sink under the strainer.

Is it better to use putty instead of the cardboard?
Or do I use both?

Silicone for me everytime , but only a thin bead on the rubber seal underneath ( both sides)

I'm with Shaun. Plumbers mate under waste flange (in sink) and rubber washer beneath between waste and underside of sink.

Plumbers mait for me above, rubber below.

In fact, I use plumbers mait for most, as the old man taught me that way. Toilets, Basins, Baths. Silicone makes things slippy. lol

If what you have is a white foam washer for above, you can use those dry and they do seem to work. I would silicone the washer below (a smear). I don't trust Plumbers Mait not to slowly ooze out and leak, though it's probably very reliable.

Don't use linseed oil putty on plastic. Never used it on brass wastes, but it would probably work well. Think that was the old way of doing it. But an all-brass waste is probably as rare as an honest miller these days!

Its whatever you're used to isn't it @Ric2013.

Tbf, the one thing I do silicone is shower traps / wastes. Can't afford to be going back to those and harder to test.

Fair point @Ant Parkes .

The OP can use either, but not actual putty if there is plastic involved as the oils could theoretically damage plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks Shaun. As usual. Very much appreciated...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All, Could use some valued help redoing a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you Shaun, that is very interesting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Unfortunately what was used to reduce the hole...
Replies
Views
Back