Should my combi boiler be making noise while no hot water is demanded? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Should my combi boiler be making noise while no hot water is demanded? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RipGroove

First off I don't know much about combi boilers or heating systems in general. I've just moved in to a house and have a question about my boiler.

Boiler: BIASI Riva Advance HE

Question: Should my boiler be making any noise even when there is nothing in the house demanding hot water?

Info: All radiators are set to the FROST symbol, no taps or showers are on yet the boilers is making a low hum/pressure type noise (no steam from flu). When hot water is demanded the boiler does get noisier and start producing steam from the flu as it should and produces hot water just fine.

Both the domestic hot water dial and the central heating dial are set to about 60%

The timer is set to have the boiler turned on between 07:00 & 20:00 I need to confirm this but I think even outside those hours the boiler is still making the same noise.

It's mounted in a garage and whenever I go in there it's pretty hot which is making me thing that the boiler is unnecessarily heating water and producing heat.

What I don't want is a huge gas bill from the boiler just sat there heating water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a video of it supposedly sat idle, it actually sounds a bit quieter in person, the video makes it seem louder.

[DLMURL]https://vimeo.com/107390590[/DLMURL]

Are any of the pipes under the boiler hot while its not in use?
Does it have a pre-heat function that is switched on?

Are any of the pipes under the boiler hot while its not in use?
Does it have a pre-heat function that is switched on?

Hiya no none of the pipes are warm. And I've looked in the manual and can't see anything about a pre heat function.

Actually yes one of the pipes is slightly warm. Just been round again and all radiators are cold and no taps or showers are on.

Also have just noticed that when I turn the CH dial to OFF the boiler goes quite. So I guess something on the CH side of the system is calling for hot water, but none of the radiators are warm?

Sounds like the central heating is on but as all rad valves are off/in frost setting it has no where to go.
Do you have one radiator with no TRV? Bathroom or hallway usually

Sounds like the central heating is on but as all rad valves are off/in frost setting it has no where to go.
Do you have one radiator with no TRV? Bathroom or hallway usually

Yes hallway has no TRV. Have narrowed it down to the CH side of things I think. I'm starting to think that the frost probe (or thermometer or whatever it is) may be faulty as when I turn the dial on the boiler to FROST the boiler just stays on, not fired up properly as there's nowhere for the water to go but it sounds like it's getting ready to fire so I'm wondering if the frost probe is telling the boiler to do something?

turn your rads back on, can never understand why folks fiddle, bedrooms 2-3 and lounge 3-4 should work and see if they warm up, if they do have a go at turning off the prgrammer, if it all keeps on, call in someone to show you how to work it and check its ok.

turn your rads back on, can never understand why folks fiddle, bedrooms 2-3 and lounge 3-4 should work and see if they warm up, if they do have a go at turning off the prgrammer, if it all keeps on, call in someone to show you how to work it and check its ok.

I fiddled because it's bloody hot at the moment and I couldn't work out why the boiler was constantly on so went round and cut off any hot water demand so I could start to eliminate things.

do you not have a time clock and room stat?

There is a timer on boiler but no room stat anywhere.

I've just a a builder mate round who's had a look at it and he says it's not right. He spoke to his plumber mate on the phone who asked him to do a few things so they are going to get back to me tomorrow.

Don't let your builder friend open up the case. You need a gas safe registered plumber for that.

When the CH dial is set to SUMMER the boiler goes quiet as you would expect as effectively the SUMMER mode switches off the CH. But when I turn the dial to the FROST symbol the boiler fan comes on, which is why I think it's the temp sensor falsely telling the boiler it's cold outside and to start the firing procedure maybe?

Probably becauase its theres to fiddle with lol

Sorry lame i hate sarcasm but couldnt resist that one , lol

OK so not heard back from my plumber mate yet. But I spoke to a guy today who used to a bit of boiler installing and he reckons it might be normal?

Here's what I know so far:

Timer set to 07:00 - 20:00

When boiler is set to OFF on the selector dial + all rads are set to FROST = Boiler goes silent and does not produce CH or DHW.

When CH is set to SUMMER on the selector dial + all rads are set to FROST = boiler is silent but still fires up when domestic hot water is demanded. No rads get warm.

So good so far right?

When CH is set to FROST on the selector dial + all rads are set to FROST = boiler sits there making a constant noise as per video above. No rads actually get warm. Which I don't think is right as the room the boiler is in is constantly like a sauna as the boiler is clearly doing something when I don't think it should be as temp outside does not warrant frost protection.

When CH is set to "any given temp on the dial" + all rads are set to off = same as above, boiler makes noise as per video

If this is infant correct operation then I either have to put up with the boiler sat heating itself, making noise, heating the garage like a sauna and probably a large heating bill OR I'll have to manually switch the CH on or off on the boiler whenever I want the CH on. Which to me defeats the point of a combi boiler?

On a side note, I have no room stay anywhere and the rad in the hallway has no TRV so, if my boiler CH temp is set to say 2/3 round the dials temp range surely the rad in the hallway will be constantly warm and the boiler will always be trying to heat it even during summer, that can't be right surely?

On the programmer on the right hand side the is a menu,clock c1 timer and auto what is that set on?

On the programmer on the right hand side the is a menu,clock c1 timer and auto what is that set on?

I'm not home right now but I believe it's set to AUTO. And I believe that C1 is set to 07:00 - 20:00 every day of the week. I will be home by 16:00 so will confirm for you.

Go into timer mode and check it's not set to on. Sounds like your boiler is set on constant,switch it back to auto for your ch times after you done then you can put the dial to what temp you want the heating

Go into timer mode and check it's not set to on. Sounds like your boiler is set on constant,switch it back to auto for your ch times after you done then you can put the dial to what temp you want the heating

OK thanks I'll have a good look when I get home. I've just moved in to the place so not familiar with the boiler controls, I do have a manual though so will see what I can do this afternoon.

Timer is set to AUTO as per attached photo, and also it looks like it's in programme #1 (which I believe I've set to 07:00-20:00), it's day 3 (Wednesday) and currently the boiler is showing an ON symbol so everything is as it should be?
190f3b442ada13ec8954140502ff18b4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
My first thought when I heard this fault a...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Thanks CJG, I understand what you're saying. I...
Replies
Views
Sounds like it could be the stepper motor for...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back