Should we move our soil pipe? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Should we move our soil pipe? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carly123

Hi all, advice appreciated!

Our bathroom needs updating, we're unsure wether to move our soil pipe. The previous owners built a carport with two bedrooms above it. The extension was built around the soil pipe which was the original outside wall (if that makes sense). So half of the soil pipe is boxed up in one of the new bedrooms and the other half is open under the carport. Eventually we would like to build into the carport to extend our kitchen. If we do this then it would mean that the soil pipe would be completely on the inside. It also seems to have bent where it has a join so I'm sure that we would need to replace it anyway.

As we need a new bathroom were wondering wether to move the toilet onto the other wall in the bathroom so that the soil pipe would be on an outside wall. There's a manhole in the garage. So we're assuming that's where the soil pipe connects to so it wouldn't be a big move in terms of joining the moved soil pipe to there (if that's correct.) it would also mean that we would have to redo the bedroom floor/ carport ceiling

What would you advise us to? Will it make much difference to buyers if we decide to sell? Would the cost be worth it? And could there be problems if we left it inside and built our kitchen into the carport where it is?

Thanks in advance!! Carly

If you do your kitchen extension I can't imagine you will want a boxing in the middle of it with a soil stack in. Check you do not need planning permission for this work though.

Thank you, we're also considering using the space as a dining room, but again who would want a soil pipe where they eat!

I wouldn't worry about the soilpipe being inside,as long as it's watertight,most soilpipes run down inside the kitchen

To move the soil pipe to an exterior wall of the property and make a new connection to the sewer you will definitely need Building Controls approval, possibly planning permission, (you would in my county as they don't like internal sewage pipes moving to outside even if they where outside originally). A quick phone cal, to the planning office and Building Controls or a visit to your local council web site should clarify costs. However if you are planning all those changes then your architect and project manager should do all of this for you.

Moving the soil stack and WC. may be fine but bath,basin, shower all connect to the soil stack in most cases. This may create all sorts of issues. I would be inclined to plan out all the work before commencing. If you can not do it in your nut before starting don't start.

Hello justlead been a bit of a stranger to the forum hope you are keeping well.......regards Turnpin:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
here is an update of job finished , i ran a...
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Back