Shower handset near toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shower handset near toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroyer2813

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Looked at a job on saturday which is to fit 2 new ensuites and refit 1 bathroom, they have a relativly new wetroom downstairs which has a shower handset ( douche?) mounted on the wall near the toilet and they want them in the 3x new rooms but i am thinking they are contravining water regs, or are they ok as long as they have relavent nrv"s in line on the pipework

Cheers

would the handset reach into the wc pan?
what is the feed to the shower, mains or dedicated stored feed?

Haven't seen handsets as yet as yet to be ordered , looking at the one downstairs I would say probably and the house is mains feed

If the handset can reach into the WC then it can only be supplied by an independent supply from cistern with suitable air gap and above the max height of the hose.

If they cannot reach into the WC then double check valves should be acceptable...

Imagen it would reach the pan as there for washing your arse I suppose, so the pan should have two holes in your saying one for the fill valve and then another to feed the sprayhead

If they cannot reach into the WC then double check valves should be acceptable...

If the hose handset can not enter the WC pan why would you need a double check valve??

The whole point of these fittings is so that you can wash your bum on the WC therefore hose will be able to enter the pan. The water in the pan is classed as category 5 & the water in the cold mains supply is 1 (wholesome / drinking water) The only acceptable protection against back flow i.e. stopping the water in the WC siphoning into the mains supply is class AA or AB air gap or by using a DC pipe interrupter all of which are Air Gaps (no mechanical device provides protection above category 4 & therefore can not be used).
In practice the cost of installing these fittings with the correct air gap is prohibitive so I would suggest a bidet with over the rim mixer tap (gives an air gap).
If you install the fittings they are suppling direct of the supplies you (& they) will be breaking the Water Regulations 1999 (Law) carries a fine of up to 5K per breach, so 15 - 20K in total & it would likely be high as this could kill people if the polluted water got in the mains supply. Please say NO.

Hum, wonder who installed the existing one in the downstairs wetroom, they are not gonna want bidets I think

R15-10-1.jpgThis is the only way to install it legally.

if the hose can reach the pan then you need to fit a retaining ring on the hose or a shorter hose. Most showers have retaining rings on the riser bar.

The shower needs to reach the pan in this instance because it is designed for Rsss washing after one has had a poo.

Chris excuse my ignorance on that drawing am i right in saying the blended feed should go into a break tank of sorts and then exit witha air gap in the feed, but how is pressure maintained with the gap what a ballache whats wrong with bog paper serves my arse fine :smile:

It would take some serious pressure anyway to do a proper job regarding cleaning would it not?

Is this meant to replace toilet paper?

It's a religious thing I think. They regard it as unclean to wipe with toilet paper. Not sure what religion but I've come across it in Indian/Pakistani houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Think baxi have launched some 'Main' branded...
Replies
Views
Heard nothing from the housebuilders today...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Update : bought a McAlpine ST90CP10-V vertical...
Replies
Views
  • Question
S.T fitted one today 4 bar was a beast!
Replies
Views
Back