Shower pump possible | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shower pump possible in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Meady

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
A friend of mine wants to set up a small hair salon in a building in the back garden of their house. They want to put one of those hair washing chairs in it so will need hot/cold/waste out to it.

The cold and the waste are fine as the kitchen backs on to the garden, the hot is possibly an issue. The house has tanks in the loft so isn't mains pressure, and he says that the hot water pressure isn't that great at the kitchen.

He has asked about a pump for the hot out in the salon but would this be possible. I'm under the impression that the pump wouldn't be able to go that far away from the cylinder and really it needs its own feed to.

Cheers

A lot depends on the pump. I did one last year - I think it was 2 bar - and it pumped hot water the whole length of a large bungalow. It was at least 10 metres. The biggest problem with pumps is having sufficient cold water. The manufacturers normally specify 200 litres cisterns. That weighs 32 stones in old money. I've got around this problem in the past by fitting quick filling float valves.
Another option would be fitting an electric shower. I once fitted three into a hair salon. For wasking hair 7kW is enough.

Upvote 0
It won't be pushing the water though it will be pulling it as he is on about having the pump out in the salon. Can do an electric shower as she has one of these showers with the shower already attached to it. Water storage shouldn't be an issue as it is knly gojng to be pumping the hot and for one hair wash chair (see image)

Attachments

• IMG-20200612-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20200612-WA0008.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Come again? Shower pumps are gravity fed aren`t they.

Normally a shower pump is situated near the hot water cylinder so that it is pumping the water to the outlet (shower) the customer is on about the pump being fitted out in the salon in the garden so in essence it has got all the way from the cylinder to the pump before it can pump it (if that makes sense) would a pump be OK with this?

Upvote 0
Normally a shower pump is situated near the hot water cylinder so that it is pumping the water to the outlet (shower) the customer is on about the pump being fitted out in the salon in the garden so in essence it has got all the way from the cylinder to the pump before it can pump it (if that makes sense) would a pump be OK with this?
Yep makes perfect sense, you need gravity to feed the pump water at a rate that keeps the pump head full of water when it discharges to the handheld head for washing hair. What about heat loss in the pipe to the pump in the shed though?
What about an undersink water heater, would that do?

Upvote 0
Yep makes perfect sense, you need gravity to feed the pump water at a rate that keeps the pump head full of water when it discharges to the handheld head for washing hair. What about heat loss in the pipe to the pump in the shed though?
What about an undersink water heater, would that do?

Good idea, I didn't think of that. Cheers 👍🏼

Upvote 0
A inline electric water heater would do it ?? or my choice a small electric water heater with 10 litres stored hot water more than enough to wash hair and rinse hands as below the storage one will work on a smaller electric supply 2- 3kw anything bigger will need a dedicated electric supply possibly a 10mm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200618-065623.png
    Screenshot_20200618-065623.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200618-065643.png
    Screenshot_20200618-065643.png
    136 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20200618-065708.png
    Screenshot_20200618-065708.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
We have a pumped shower with a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi SI......is the shower on the same floor as...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Stnd wrong pump for a high pressure shower...
Replies
Views
  • Question
HI Basher UPDATE ; I found a seal kit!! as...
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
I suspect that the macerator activation is...
Replies
Views
Back