Shower replacement advice needed | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shower replacement advice needed in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

J

Jane M

Recently moved into a house and have been told that a shower needs replacing as it has water coming out of the fittings when on and is increasingly hard to turn off.

When looking for new showers we ideally want one that will fit into the current holes, and have noticed that some shower valves are fixed width, others have a bit of flex, my first question is whether this is correct, or if even those that are described as a certain width would actually also have a bit of give either way?

The second question is to do with water pressure. Our water pressure into the house is around 6.5 bar, and lots of showers are listed as being 5 bar max - would this cause is problems if our water pressure is higher? I wonder if this is part of the reason the previous shower didn't last as long as I would have expected (it was 5 years old).

It is sensible to take the measurements that the manufacturers give you, there may be a couple of mil play in your pipes though.

If you have 6.5 bar this will be a problem, fit a pressure reducing valve where the mains comes in and set it to 3 bar.

Upvote 0
Ok that's helpful. We're not sure whether a pressure reducing valve is the way to go as the sellers say they didn't have problems and as far as we can tell the neighbours haven't either (although they are still on tank fed system so not sure if this makes a difference). There is also not a lot of space to put the PRV if we did go down that route and one plumber mentioned maybe having to crimp pipes which I'm not sure sounds right or sensible.

We have found a shower which says it has a max operating pressure of 10 bar so wondering whether that's the way to go for now and monitor for any other issues, and repair as needed (we think part of the reason the previous fittings have failed is because they were not maintained and now are past the point of an easy fix). Not sure if this sounds like a sensible plan or not?

Upvote 0
If you choose to listen to the sellers over a plumber on this issue I can’t help you.

There is no need for 6.5 bar and it WILL cause you problems.
Ok, understood. Our concern is that we then won't have decent pressure in the shower upstairs. There's also very little room to put a pressure reducing valve on. When we get someone to fit the shower can ask them how that would all work.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Is it posssible to install a booster pump, of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks Timmy. That does seem to be the...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Hi all, I currently have one of these shower...
Replies
Views
Jarrod
J
  • Question
I covered most of this thread in post 5!!!!!
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
Back