Shower running lukewarm on hottest setting | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shower running lukewarm on hottest setting in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I have a problem with my shower - it started dropping in temperature to where even on the hottest setting it now runs lukewarm at best. Previously happened about 3 months ago and was then taken apart and adjusted the flow from the inside which seemed to solve the problem for a while, albeit I had to have our boiler on preheated water to ensure it was hot enough, instead of the 'eco' setting (combi boiler). The temperature has steadily dropped until now its unusable. Taking it apart previously was a ballache, my Dad did it who is an all round handyman but hates plumbing so will loath to do it again! I was wondering if anyone knew the cause of this? Other relevant info is other hot taps upstairs and downstairs are all fine, the shower has a mixer tap and our boiler is kettling relatively often.

Thanks, Lewis

If it is straightforward to do and obviously after isolating both the hot and cold supply check the inlet strainers on the shower mixer. They can be rinsed under the tap, de-scaled or replaced as necessary. You mentioned the boiler is kettling which suggests a hard water area. It is probably the thermostatic cartridge which can be taken out, cleaned and de-scaled but it may actually have failed completely. When the cartridge has been taken out and put back it is advisable to check any anti-scald settings in the mixer (see manufacturer’s instructions). If the mixer valve is old it may make sense to replace it completely as thermostatic cartridges can be quite expensive depending on the exact mixer. I’ve had problems like this over the years as my water is very hard.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Sounds like boiler flow switch. Had the exact...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think you might be right, we have changed...
Replies
Views
Diyer17111
D
great, thanks for sharing, really difficult to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
O
  • Question
Further update. the cold water pressure to...
Replies
Views
olders
O
Back