Shower thermostatic mixer tap issues | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shower thermostatic mixer tap issues in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Good morning everyone :)

I’m having issues with my thermostatic mixer on my shower, I want to strip it down and clean it up inside but I can’t seem to get in to it, I’m guessing the ceramic cover should come off to reveal a screw but it won’t budge, and doesn’t screw either, I’ve unscrewed the ceramic lever and there looks to be a whole in there that maybe contained a grub screw but doesn’t now, how would you recommend I proceed? Maybe use a bit more force on the ceramic cap? I’m trying with a Stanley knife.

Thanks

Kevin

CAF76D82-ECB4-46E9-AC7B-413A3D348D0B.jpeg

It looks like a shower I worked on recently. If so:

1. The ceramic index is glued to a threaded brass slug which screws into the cross head of the tap. Scale remover and some very hot water got it free.
2. The shroud behind the cross head (the smaller diameter chromed bit) has an allen grub screw underneath. Slacken this off and the shroud comes off.
3. Removing the shroud reveals the valve internals. The internals are threaded into the body of the valve and require a 17 mm Allen bit to remove, together with a lot of force.
4. Removing the internals shows a chromed shuttle valve which appears to regulate the hot water flow. This sticks quite easily.
5. The thermostat is a small capsule. You used to be able to get them from showerdoc (Mira "Element Realm" is the cartridge but not the shower) but they appear to be discontinued. They were about £50

In the end I found it impossible to get parts for this shower (including the numerous O rings) and it has been replaced. I wouldn't spend much time on it unless you know the make and model and find spares are obtainable.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
What is your source of hot water? What bar...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Timmy D. Thanks for your reply. I'll try...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I find it’s often helpful to tap the handle...
Replies
Views
T
Replies
Views
  • Question
This question, word for word, has already been...
Replies
Views
Back