Shower waste fitting vent? | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shower waste fitting vent? in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

The old shower waste that was removed from the bathroom had a section where the waste went from 40 up to 50mm with an adapter. The pipes were run above floor and boxed in. Along a 2.5mish run

There was this part just before the transition from 40 to 50 mm
DSC_3754.JPG

Going to be running my new shower waste under the floor boards and want to use 50mm as the new shower is more powerful than the old, plus the tray is shallow.
Will need to use a short section of 40 from the trap before going up to 50.

The question is what is that part in the photo and will i need to fit one on the new pipe work?
It has something rattling about inside
so it seems like its some sort of vent to help with the drainage flow.
Any one able to confirm?
Also is there a similar part that can be fitted inline? Ie one that doesn't stick up.
I'll be putting the new waste under floor and think something like this might foul the floorboards depending on how if fit the shower tray

Yes, it is an Automatic Air Vent (aav).

May not be necessary, but presumably it was put there for a reason initially, try it without and see how you get on.
(I personally wouldn’t fit one in an inaccessible place as they can fail quite easily)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that. It was fitted during or before the previous owners were here.
So not sure why it was fitted.
Perhaps because the old waste run was sat directly on the floor so there was no fall along the majority of the pipe run apart from the short section that dropped below the floor before connecting to the stack.

anyway ill see how it works without one and go from there

Upvote 0
One other question while im on the subject,

The waste is a straight run from the trap along the length of the room before hitting a 90 degree bend then another short straight into the stack.

Am i better off using two 45 degree bends rather than one 90 if feasible?

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
So have started fitting all the bits together...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Shaun. I didn't want to force it round...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Silicone 😳, putty 😁 McAlpine for me
Replies
Views
  • Question
Possibly Mcalpine ST90CP10-70 if the top looks...
Replies
Views
Back