Shower waste hits joist slightly | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Shower waste hits joist slightly in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi folks,

Got a cracking deal on a stone resin shower tray but unfortunely it hits the joist slightly.

https://i.*********/AFYfZDm.png

The joist is around 3.25" wide and 6.75" tall, and I would have to cut out a vertical notch from the joist of 1.15" (at the max, it will probably be less than this) for it to fit.

Would this be acceptable, or shoud I consider a different approach?

Thank you.

You will significantly weaken the joist with your notch. You'd need to ask a structural engineer whether this is an issue in your circumstances. If so, it's usually possible to reinforce joists by 'sistering' them but you need to think about how waterproof your method will be in the event of a leak. The structural engineer will be able to specify materials and methods.

Upvote 0
You could do that but you will need to sister the timber to the nearest span / load point

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Either appears to work, but I’d personally go...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Over that distance, I don't even think 50mm...
Replies
Views
M
  • Question
Omg your ment to be a plumber and you would do...
Replies
Views
Gray0689
G
Back