Signing off other prople's work.... | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Signing off other prople's work.... in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

D

Dotty

We all know it's a no-no. Unfortunately one of my directors doesn't and has challenged me to provide him with the legislative document saying we can't.

And I'm buggered if I can find it!

Help!

Do they have the tickets to do the work themselves but you're commissioning it?

or are they putting it in without qualifications and then you're signing it off?

I used to do new build work on the books,they would not pay for us to get gsr. We used to mount the boilers pipe up the pipe that could be used for gas and stop 50mm from the boiler cut out for the flue.the builder then got a company to connect gas pipe fit flue and commission. This was a few yrs ago but one of the lads rang gsr as we knew we it was a bit iffy they didn't want to know.

[DLMURL]https://engineers.User PlumbersForums.net Instead - Copy the content, don't link to it.co.uk/doc/gsr_rules_of_registration.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Argue to comply with gas safe you need to supervise the work being undertaken?
he might decide its too much hassle then.

however if he doesnt have enough man power and needs fresh blood to take on new work......

i prefered it when the benchmark had a section for commissioning engineer and installer. When i got asked to do this in the past Id then fill out the commissioning section and put the name down of the person who installed it as the installer, even if he was not GS registerd. Gaffa soon got the point as his paperwork proved he was allowing illegal gas work to be done.

i believe gas safe wrote something about it being against the law in a previous gas safe mag.

Last edited:
I daresay it's a risk he's going to take. I've a nasty feeling what I'm going to get told!

Problem is that once you sign you are responsible for things you had no control over and certainly cannot guarantee short of taking the kit out and starting over. I do not envy your position and hope they do not blackmail you. Had something similar when I was a debt collector....seemed perfectly reasonable until the customer started to dig for proof.......but nothing I did then could kill people. Hope it works out

Not sure I can be arsed to trawl though back copies of the GSR mag tbh.

A saving grace I guess is that we don't have to notify works over here as of yet but I will be informing him that Gas Safe have deemed it illegal and that it could jeopardise our membership.

Not only that but I would want it in writing that I'm to go and commission the appliance and I WOULD not be taking any prisoners with it! I woud be going over it with the finest of combs!

There is an extant tb, that explains what you have to do to commision someone elses work, It does say you should avoid doing so but what to do if you have to. the best bit I remember is that you have to satisfy yourself thall all joints are ok using tightness test combined with a visual inspection, which they say you may have to lift floors and expose runs in concrete to do so!! Bet your boss isnt so keen once you get the jack hammer out :) It goes into detail how once you sign it off you are responsible for everything thereafter, not the cowboy who did the job

There is an extant tb, that explains what you have to do to commision someone elses work, It does say you should avoid doing so but what to do if you have to. the best bit I remember is that you have to satisfy yourself thall all joints are ok using tightness test combined with a visual inspection, which they say you may have to lift floors and expose runs in concrete to do so!! Bet your boss isnt so keen once you get the jack hammer out :) It goes into detail how once you sign it off you are responsible for everything thereafter, not the cowboy who did the job

Had a feeling it might be!

i would also note down the installers names on your paperwork/certs.

If he pushes me down this road everything, and I mean everything, will be documented!

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Make sure there is a means of isolating the...
Replies
Views
Lloyd999
L
That is true - however with Vaillant...
Replies
Views
Back