Sink drainage | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sink drainage in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hello all!

I'm a first time DIY-er and I am taking out a new build crappy vanity unit to replace with a wooden vanity with countertop basin.

I'm at the demolition stage! I've managed to remove the old vanity and I've got a waste pipe in front of me going straight into the ground. I always thought it would go into the wall. Just want to check this all looks normal.... The waste pipe is easy to lift in and out of the larger drain area, it doesn't feel like it is attached to anything.

Am I okay to floor round this? Any advice for making it look decent?

Attachments

• PXL_20240219_183240758.jpg
    PXL_20240219_183240758.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 17083680837995579487340330773729.jpg
    17083680837995579487340330773729.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 27
Looks like it’s into a 110mm drainage pipe so yes ok but should be sealed you should be able to move it up and down with force shouldn’t move on its own weight etc

Yes, waste pipes can indeed go straight into the ground, especially in newer builds. When flooring around this pipe, ensure a neat finish by leaving a small gap around the pipe to accommodate any movement or expansion. You can use a flexible sealant or a grommet to seal this gap, preventing water ingress and odour escape. For better aesthetics, you can also consider installing a pipe collar or escutcheon plate at the floor level. This will give a nice clean, finished appearance around the pipe where it comes up from the floor. Good luck with the project (maybe post us an update when it's done?!).

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Unfortunately what was used to reduce the hole...
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No but if it ever blocks down stream likely to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Only way to find out as above mcalpine make...
Replies
Views
Back