Sink waste pipe in hard to reach location | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sink waste pipe in hard to reach location in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi

I have a new kitchen that was just fitted. The way the kitchen sink and pipes were sitting meant the main water pipes are in the cupboard under the sink, however the waste pipe is in behind another cupboard beside it.

I was plumbing up the sink taps and trap and am a bit stuck. The trap is lower than the waste pipe and as the waste is rammed up the back of another cupboard backing it's a bit hard to reach/do anything.

I have attached a photo so you can see where the waste is and the access I have. The waste pipe is on the bottom photo to the left of the water tap copper pipe

Is there a way you can use the existing waste in it's current location and connect to the trap?

Or should I bore out a new waste hole in the main cupboard and connect to that?

Wouid appreciate any suggestions or help.

Thanks
20200414_131156.jpg
20200414_131209.jpg

Hi

I have a new kitchen that was just fitted. The way the kitchen sink and pipes were sitting meant the main water pipes are in the cupboard under the sink, however the waste pipe is in behind another cupboard beside it.

I was plumbing up the sink taps and trap and am a bit stuck. The trap is lower than the waste pipe and as the waste is rammed up the back of another cupboard backing it's a bit hard to reach/do anything.

I have attached a photo so you can see where the waste is and the access I have. The waste pipe is on the bottom photo to the left of the water tap copper pipe

Is there a way you can use the existing waste in it's current location and connect to the trap?

Or should I bore out a new waste hole in the main cupboard and connect to that?

Wouid appreciate any suggestions or help.

ThanksView attachment 43354View attachment 43353
Can you cut the 22mm incoming main down lower (just above the cupboard base), cutting the 22mm cold supply (to the rest of the house) down to the same height, use your reducing tee on the incoming main, taking your (outside tap?) 15mm pipe up high and crossing over your sink tap hot and colds at a higher level. This looks like it might give you room to sneak the trap waste outlet across the cupboard at 45degrees and behind the other unit.
I guess you don’t need to be told that you should always work your waste pipe first and measure out your first fix locations with care. Unfortunately it looks like you’ve been cursed with a kitchen fitter who either doesn’t think or doesn’t give a cr@p about the other trades involved.
I would either look to take the adjoining cupboard out to allow good access to making the waste joint on the existing pipework or is there room under the plinth to connect on to it there? If so, your easiest option might be to drop from the trap, straight through the cupboard base and make your connection at low level.
either way, you’re in for a frustrating time and I wish you well.

Can you cut the 22mm incoming main down lower (just above the cupboard base), cutting the 22mm cold supply (to the rest of the house) down to the same height, use your reducing tee on the incoming main, taking your (outside tap?) 15mm pipe up high and crossing over your sink tap hot and colds at a higher level. This looks like it might give you room to sneak the trap waste outlet across the cupboard at 45degrees and behind the other unit.
I guess you don’t need to be told that you should always work your waste pipe first and measure out your first fix locations with care. Unfortunately it looks like you’ve been cursed with a kitchen fitter who either doesn’t think or doesn’t give a cr@p about the other trades involved.
I would either look to take the adjoining cupboard out to allow good access to making the waste joint on the existing pipework or is there room under the plinth to connect on to it there? If so, your easiest option might be to drop from the trap, straight through the cupboard base and make your connection at low level.
either way, you’re in for a frustrating time and I wish you well.

Thanks. Yes agree looks like kitchen fitter didnt think of others trying to get access. The other cupboard beside has backing in and would need cut out to reach the waste. Even then it's hard to reach and fit the pipe and connectors to.

I prob dont want the waste going down through the cupboard bottom as would need to remove the kicker board if I ever needed access.

I'm tempted to put the problem back to the kitchen people. I need to get access to the pipe and as a last resort want to move the waste pipe (I will still need access to where it is to remove the old pipe anyway). So they should come up with a solution to solve unless there was an easier way I'm not seeing?

Remove the outside tap and washing machine feeds

this frees up just enough space for the waste

90 and a 45 should be enough

then re do the washing machine and outside tap if it is your missing back flow protection

With the outlet of the sink trap being too low for the waste pipe, how much is it too low? Could this be as simple as using a different trap? You have a telescopic trap with a spigoted tee in below that making the trap outlet lower than it has to be.

With a different trap and some other minor rearrangements could you raise the trap outlet enough for it to work?

With the outlet of the sink trap being too low for the waste pipe, how much is it too low? Could this be as simple as using a different trap? You have a telescopic trap with a spigoted tee in below that making the trap outlet lower than it has to be.

With a different trap and some other minor rearrangements could you raise the trap outlet enough for it to work?

Hi
I don't have sizes yet but on the bottom pic you can see where the trap is. The waste pipe is currently just above the top of outside tap fitting you can see. So approx the waste is around the same level of where the bottom white catchment bowl is under the sink. So it would need to be raised a lot.

Ideally it would be good to change the trap anyway as it's quite low and takes up most of the cupboard.

The main issue is access to the waste and how close it is to the outside tap pip and fittings.

Remove the outside tap and washing machine feeds

this frees up just enough space for the waste

90 and a 45 should be enough

then re do the washing machine and outside tap if it is your missing back flow protection

Hi

Where would you remove the outside tap? just to the T conjunction?

I need to widen behind that cupboard as a 45 or 90 wouldn't fit on top of the waste. The waste is more or less rammed in to the wall and back if the unit so a wider top for the pipe would even be hard to get in

Hi

Where would you remove the outside tap? just to the T conjunction?

I need to widen behind that cupboard as a 45 or 90 wouldn't fit on top of the waste. The waste is more or less rammed in to the wall and back if the unit so a wider top for the pipe would even be hard to get in

left hand pipe needs removing and the waste going here guess someone was given the wrong measurements for first fix

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Mcalpine sk1 or sk2 is what you need
Replies
Views
  • Question
When it comes to solvent weld plastic pipes...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No but if it ever blocks down stream likely to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There are various things on the market to...
Replies
Views
Back