Sink waste trap gurgling/noise | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sink waste trap gurgling/noise in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi there,

I’m hoping someone can help me with my plumbing issue.

I have had a new kitchen installed and as part of that a new Vellamo double sink. My fitter has connected a new waste trap to the sinks however when I run the water from the tap I can hear gurgling noise from the strainer and water running loudly through the waste trap. I can also see bubbles/water at the bottom of the strainer as if the water is not draining.

As this is a new install, I didn’t expect to hear so much noise. I am sure something isn’t correct in the setup (see attached picture). I have spoken to my fitter and he says he has done everything correctly. He said that the issue may be due to the exterior waste pipe not going directly into the drain (it stops above the drain cover on ground level) causing trapped air however I never had this issue with the old sink. He has suggested that I buy an additional waste pipe kit for the right hand side sink and then connect the two systems together after the p-trap.

Looking online, the only thing I have noticed different on my system is that the pipes from the strainer bend 90 degrees almost straight away whilst most others seems to have significant vertical drop before the 2nd sink waste pipe attaches. Could this be the reason for the noise etc? I have also seen on youtube, for 2 bowl sinks an alternative design where the waste for both sinks meet in the middle before going through the p-bend however don’t think screwfix/toolstation etc sell this style.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sink Waste Trap.jpg
    Sink Waste Trap.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 38
He has used a bowl and a half waste set , these work ok because the two bowls are at different heights.

You have both bowls at the same height and he has done nothing to address this, I’m not surprised it gurgles.

I would put a p-trap on each sink and join them later, or preferably run them separately all the way to the gully - that would be best.

I’m afraid it’s a typical kitchen fitter install.....💣

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
When it comes to solvent weld plastic pipes...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks! I’ll give that a try 👍
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah they are fitted inside, thanks. No leaks :)
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have a condensing boiler in my kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Back