Siphon for very old toilet cistern | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Siphon for very old toilet cistern in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

perdrix

I have an old (Shanks) cistern with an bottom exit hole that is 2½" in diameter and the flush pipe is about 1 5/8" diameter.

The syphon needs replacing, but I cannot (so far) find anything that will fit.

Please can someone point me to a supplier that will be able help? Or am I going to have to replace the cistern and down pipe?

Thanks
Dave

I have an old (Shanks) cistern with an bottom exit hole that is 2½" in diameter and the flush pipe is about 1 5/8" diameter.

The syphon needs replacing, but I cannot (so far) find anything that will fit.

Please can someone point me to a supplier that will be able help? Or am I going to have to replace the cistern and down pipe?

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum, best thing to do is to remove the siphon and look in a plumbers merchants for a repair kit as more often than not the plastic membrane at the bottom has split

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum, best thing to do is to remove the siphon and look in a plumbers merchants for a repair kit as more often than not the plastic membrane at the bottom has split

Thank you but I wish it were that simple! The design is much older - it uses a disc that rides up and down on a shaft which I replaced years back with a new disc cut from the lid of a plastic paint can.

The problem with siphon unit is twofold, the hole the shaft goes through at the top of the bell has worn and the shaft binds as a result, and the threads for the nut at the bottom (that holds the flat disc with holes in onto which the moving disc drops to make a seal) have failed. Not totally beyond repair/re-build with the facilities of a machine shop I would guess, but I don't have that sort of stuff.

So it really is a case of replacing the siphon unit (or the entire cistern which will be costly to match up).

Dave

Unfortunately this isn't a simple case of fitting a new diaphragm, this one uses a disc that slides up and down the shaft inside the syphon.

The hole at the top through which the shaft slides up and down has worn over the years and now the shaft catches when its is flushed. The threads for the nut at the bottom of the shaft are full of lime-scale. The nut has partly come off but now won't come any further. Not beyond repair by a fully equipped machine shop, but unfortunately I don't have one.

When Tamz sees this post he will offer you one from his garage that he has had in there since 1977

Change the siphon and flush pipe and make a bigger washer for the new smaller syphon, it was easier for us years ago to use a bit of sheet lead to cut two washers but not sure if you can get any lead, maybe try the scrappies and buy a bit from him

Change the siphon and flush pipe and make a bigger washer for the new smaller syphon, it was easier for us years ago to use a bit of sheet lead to cut two washers but not sure if you can get any lead, maybe try the scrappies and buy a bit from him

Now you showing your age!!

B & Q do a syphon with adaptor rings :

I went there on your recommendation and found a Fluidmaster push button dual flush unit that said it fitted both 1.5" and 2" outlets.

While the hole in the cistern base is somewhat larger than normal for a 2" unit, it did fit, so I'm a happy bunny, and so is the CFO as it was a whole lot cheaper than a matching cistern :).

Thanks
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello! I was checking something in the toilet...
Replies
Views
H
Have you got the measurements of the old one...
Replies
Views
I would cut it to the right size and glue the...
Replies
Views
You may also find pushing the button sharply...
Replies
Views
Thank you very much. I had it round the other...
Replies
Views
Back