Sizing a shower pump | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sizing a shower pump in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Yo!
Little shower pump project at hand have plenty of experience fitting them just not specifying!
I've read up on man. instructions so seems like a cheapo 2 bar salamander (price conscious customer here) is good enough for a single shower.

What threw me off was the recomendation on the instructions for a 220l tank minimum. Now my cus has 110 litre tank..eeep.. Mains is great looks like it will fill most of what it will use straight away. Pump will do about 15l/m roughly so 10 min shower should be OK I guess, as mains will fill 50 litres over 10 mins easy

Now hot water cylinder is 120litres.. I can just imagine the pump emptying it fairly quickly. At 60c it might do a 10 min shower when mixed with cold but then no hot water for next 20-30 mins.

What are my options here?
Fit the pump fingers crossed or ppsize cylinder AND tank (might as well fit unvented cyl then)?

Cheers

I've never been comfortable putting more than a 2 bar shower pump on gravity systems and I always tell the customers their shower times may be limited.
Last one I fitted I talked the customer down from a 3 bar to a 1.2bar shower mate pump, the results were spot on to be honest, the incoming main was about 2.5 bar and 10l/minute(if I remember correctly) so I thought the cold would just push through and drown the hot, but it didn't.

Upvote 0
Well I'm guessing you'll be using a surrey flange, so the size of the cylinder is only relevant to how long the shower stays hot, as long as the refill rate of the cylinder > the flow rate of the shower then it won't run dry. Which is why I'd go for the lowest pressure pump the customer will agree to.
You've already done a rough calculation of how long they will have hot water so give them the option of a size upgrade, put the ball in their court.

Upvote 0
Well I'm guessing you'll be using a surrey flange, so the size of the cylinder is only relevant to how long the shower stays hot, as long as the refill rate of the cylinder > the flow rate of the shower then it won't run dry. Which is why I'd go for the lowest pressure pump the customer will agree to.
You've already done a rough calculation of how long they will have hot water so give them the option of a size upgrade, put the ball in their court.
Thats what il do then. JC comes to aid when needed yet again. Hallelujah!

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Stnd wrong pump for a high pressure shower...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for asking Lou. After taking 30+...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi SI......is the shower on the same floor as...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Any pictures of the top connector of the...
Replies
Views
K
  • Question
If a twin pump and If you have a ensuite sink...
Replies
Views
Back