slow flushing toilet - is it the vent? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss slow flushing toilet - is it the vent? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all! Hoping to get some advice:

We have a slow flushing toilet that I've tried plunging, snaking and chemicals to get going but all of that made no difference. I noticed that if I detached the U-bend from the sink that goes to the same drain the toilet flushed perfectly - this led me to think that the issue was a blocked roof vent since the fact that air could rush in to the waste pipe made all the difference. But - we have an upstairs toilet that is flushing perfectly. The upstairs toilet drains into the only visible waste pipe on the building - the non-flushing ground floor toilet is physically close to the same waste pipe so I assume it joins it somewhere underground.

The fact that another toilet draining in the same place is able to flush perfectly well seems at odds with my hypothesis of a blocked roof vent. Anybody have any ideas as to what could be going on or what I could check?

Agree with above, there's a blockage you aren't moving, in the downstairs pipe.

Has the WC been O.K in the past?

When you say the air was rushing in when the U bend was off the sink, did you feel it suck air in?
If not take the U bend off and put Cling film over the pipe, flush the affected W.C.
If the cling film blows out , you've got a blockage as previously stated.

Similar plumbing topics

You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
C
Hello My toilet flush is busted. The tank...
Replies
Views
Chris P
C
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Sorry for the late post on this but just...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much! Gets me off the hook! Let...
Replies
Views
Back