Slow water from upstairs taps | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Slow water from upstairs taps in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all...new member here, hoping someone can help!

I have slow running water from my upstairs taps.

The house is a 1980s build with a cold water tank in the loft.

I have had this problem several times and am able to cure it by connecting a hose to the tap and sending mains pressure back up into the tank. This cures it for about 1 month then it will start to slow down and eventually completely stop.

I have completely drained and cleaned the tank...there is not a scrap of debris in there at all...I have back filled the tank from the tap in an effort to clear any debris in the pipes but nothing comes out in the tank.

I have refilled the tank and got the air out and can get all the taps working great...but as I say, this will only last a month before it goes again.

Any thoughts on this would be very welcome. Thanks...Bill.

Thanks will have a look, but it has only recently started doing it and we have had no new work done....been fine for 10 years up until now.
As JC said. Follow the good pipe rule and all will be well. Normally.
Pipes are ok to fall and rise but not to rise and fall.
Another reason flow becomes restricted over time on a system like yours could be dezincification of any brass fittings. That would be a gradually worsening thing though and unlikely to be cleared in the way you described.

Strip the taps down and clean them. If washered, reseat the taps with a reseating tool, renew the washers and better still buy a tap revival kit and renew the innards. If it's a cartridge then either clean it or replace it. Thoroughly clean everything and apply some WRAS approved silicone grease to moving parts.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You’re a genius, thank you! Held my thumb over...
Replies
Views
M
  • Question
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water...
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
  • Question
Before doing this, check the level in the cold...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's great - thank you
Replies
Views
  • Question
It could be best to get him back to have a look
Replies
Views
Back