Smaller hot water tank or two under sink instantaneous water heaters? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Smaller hot water tank or two under sink instantaneous water heaters? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I own a two bedroom holiday let wooden lodge. The bathroom has a very strange two third length bath with a step in it and an overhead Mira Sport power shower. There is a large 115 litre hot water cylinder with two immersion heater elements (one is for "boost" purposes) in a cupboard serving the kitchen sink, the bathroom handbasin and the bath.

I plan to replace the bath with a conventional shower cubicle. Someone has suggested removing the large hot water cylinder and placing unvented mains pressure under sink water heaters under the kitchen sink and the bathroom handbasin. This would free up much needed cupboard space allowing me to install a fridge/freezer which would gain me an extra "Visit Britain" star.

Does this idea of utilising under sink water heaters make sense or would I be better advised to just replace the 115 litre hot water cylinder with a much smaller cylinder?

Depending on how the shower was piped ( elec or off the cylinder) I would keep the cylinder

I'm pretty sure the smallest UV cylinder you can buy is 70ltr, which stands 802mm FFL to top of cylinder so wont save you much room.

I personally would keep the unvented cylinder set up you have and alter the bath, why spend money if everything is working fine just to gain an extra star? weigh up the installation cost of removing the UV cylinder and converting to a multipoint heater to the extra star return! IE how long will it take to see you money back and then a Profit.

I'm pretty sure the smallest UV cylinder you can buy is 70ltr, which stands 802mm FFL to top of cylinder so wont save you much room.
I don't think that 70 litres is the smallest you can get. Have a look at the Hyco SF15K and the Redring EW15 & MW15. Incidentally, can anyone explain the difference between the latter two appliances?

I personally would keep the unvented cylinder set up you have and alter the bath, why spend money if everything is working fine just to gain an extra star?
Actually, the extra star does seem to make a significant difference when people are choosing between places to stay. Additionally, the very odd bath was not unreasonably described by a recent guest as "neither use nor ornament"

Weigh up the installation cost of removing the UV cylinder and converting to a multipoint heater to the extra star return!
I don't understand this proposal at all, could you explain please?

Many thanks for the feedback to date.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
They are easy to find by Googling once you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Go to the manufacturer's of the units you want...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes that would work in my opinion not a expert...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
Back