Smelling drain when trap is removed for cleaning | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Smelling drain when trap is removed for cleaning in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all, Early on this year I had my electric shower removed and replaced with an Aqualisa shower and tray, which now runs of my combi boiler. As a precautionary measure to avoid possible future blockages, I lift out the removable parts of the trap every week, to remove hair that the trap is designed to collect. The problem I now have is when I remove the parts to clean them, there is a bad smell from the drain. I am now wondering if, to overcome the bad smell from the drain, should a 'u' bend or bottle trap have been installed at the time of the change.
I thank you in advance of your help.
TomTom

On many of the top access shower traps the parts you remove to clean them are also part of the trap that creates the water seal.
When you remove them smell of drains will come back into room.
No other trap required.

Thank you exedon2 for your reply. I would like to have a situation whereby when the parts are removed for cleaning, there is no bad drain smell from the drain. Surely this would mean some sort u bend or bottle trap. Is this something I should have mentioned to the installer who is qualified in this line of work?

Thank you exedon2 for your reply. I would like to have a situation whereby when the parts are removed for cleaning, there is no bad drain smell from the drain. Surely this would mean some sort u bend or bottle trap. Is this something I should have mentioned to the installer who is qualified in this line of work?
I don't see the need, you put the trap back after you've cleaned it and the smell stops?

As mentioned the sections you are cleaning are the trap. Adding another trap is just asking for more issues with either blockages or another point for a leak. It might not even be possible to add a U bend in or bottle trap due to the room underneath the tray.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I am glad that you got rid of the smell :)
Replies
Views
  • Question
Is the main drain vented? Sounds like the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Great, thanks. Much appreciated.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, It does look intact but a little the worse...
Replies
Views
Back