Smelly Washing Waste Trap when Toilet Flushed | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Smelly Washing Waste Trap when Toilet Flushed in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Good morning

I have a washing machine now installed in the cellar and the waste pipe is connected to a pipe that is connected to the main waste pipe that goes down to the sewer but now when the toilet upstairs is flushed a rotten egg smell is coming for the washing machine trap . I have checked the trap and its clean inside and the washing washing it self is not smelling its seems to be coming from the main waste pipe, How can I stop the smell do I have the wrong trap installed?

(see attached picture of pipe going into trap)

Attachments

• wash.jpg
    wash.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 28
Totally wrong trap! At very least needs upstand trap though in that position in a cellar i would used a hepv0 trap fitted vertically with an extension on top

The p trap I have is the wrong size its to small, Should the fitted bottle trap have some water in it to stop any smells coming back or would a p trap be ok in its place

If there is no water in trap that's the problem.
It really wants replacing ! I suggested the hepvo trap as it would not only cure problem but would also not leak water or worse all over if drains blocked.
Look on screwfix site they do hepv0 also mcalpine equivalent you need 40mm one also 1 1/2 x 40mm strait adaptor mcalpine do that as well
Take existing trap off replace with elbow short bit of pipe then trap with adaptor screwed on say a 250mm length of in that away you go.
Be a good idea to clip all waste pipe up properly as well.

Similar plumbing topics

You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If you go and put your hose in the top like...
Replies
Views
Would cap both off separately cut just below...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you take a picture of your downstairs...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
Back