Smokey boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Smokey boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Donkey

Hi lads im new here,I am having trouble with a heat pack boiler its very smokey,although the burner in fact tried two burners are working correctly. Help please:confused:

Neither burner can be set up correctly if they're both smoking. Have you changed from 28sec to 35sec oil? or vice versa?

one was brand new,and didnt smoke on a differant boiler,i brought it home last night and put it on my own boiler.

so it wasn't set up for your boiler then? when was it last serviced?

True, but we are not talking a small bit of smoke here,were talking black soot that covers the photocell within minutes, theres more to it than the burner,diesel in the tank maybe,any other suggestions.

To get a clean burn you need air, and fuel at the right pressure and the right amounts if it works okay on your boiler I would tend to look at the flue in the first instance, is it partially blocked It could be the fuel but thats easily checked out posibly water in it.

Check the baffles are correctly in place and that none have dropped obscuring the flame, make sure the filter's clean and the oil's running freely, check the nozzle's nice and tight if you've swapped that (not over tight though!!!!).

After that you're looking at wrong / contaminated oil.

My gut's telling me me that the wrong oil's been put in the tank.

If you aren't qualified and registered you shouldn't be messing about with burners.

If you are, check the fuel. If you have put gas oil in your boiler may be able to run on it but it will tell you in the instructions. NB you can't run gas oil in a boiler with balanced flue.

You're absolutely right there WHPES. Unfortunately OFTEC doesn't have the same influence or powers (yet!) that GasSafe enjoys. And imho this is very very wrong! People seem to think that because they've an oil boiler that they're immune from CO poisoning but some of the worst FGA readings I've had are off oil boilers. The only advantage is you can see straight away when an oiler's out of sorts!

And you can't run 35sec through a condensing boiler either. Gums the flueways up something horrible!

You're absolutely right there WHPES. Unfortunately OFTEC doesn't have the same influence or powers (yet!) that GasSafe enjoys. !

Do you know something we don't? Last time I had a visit from the nice man from OFTEC and asked what they where doing about non OFTEC working on oil his reply was "not in our remit,we just have to make sure you do it right!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
Time and make a note of how long the boiler is...
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
Wondering if the Pump is up to scratch?... 10m?
Replies
Views
Back