So, would you want this job ;) | General Plumbing Jobs Discussion | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss So, would you want this job ;) in the General Plumbing Jobs Discussion area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Solutions
So one of the managers at my other job - now down to part time so I can get back to plumbing but without the financial pressure (horray!) today discovers I'm a qualified plumber.

'So would you do a heating system?'

Well, no, I said, as not Gas Safe and don't do boilers. I'd move a radiator, for example but not do a whole system on a new boiler.

'But if someone else was fitting the boiler you wouldn't do a heating system?'

Again, I said, no. It could cause a pickle if there was any issue. Boiler installer would blame my pipework and I'd obviously suspect the problem was the boiler, but neither of us would really be sure. I've seen it done within a firm where the RGI does the boiler and the non-RGI does the rest, but that's different. (Also, a whole list of other reasons, but I kept that to myself.)

'Oh, you talk yourself out of work,' he said, 'if I were a potential customer you'd have lost me with your attitude - it's all wrong.'

Well, if someone doesn't appreciate good advice when they hear it...

Feel free to disagree with me.

Stick to your guns! He is probably narked cos he didn`t get the job done cheap like he was expecting and had already given the wife the good news. :p
Nah, this was all one conversation. I know there is enough work doing jobs I want to be able to turn down the ones I don't. I do agree with him on one point though... advertise.

He is obviously trying to save some money.
Do you know anyone gas safe?

Yes. He's not very good. Did a job for a customer of mine and I won't be recommending him again.

So one of the managers at my other job - now down to part time so I can get back to plumbing but without the financial pressure (horray!) today discovers I'm a qualified plumber.

'So would you do a heating system?'

Well, no, I said, as not Gas Safe and don't do boilers. I'd move a radiator, for example but not do a whole system on a new boiler.

'But if someone else was fitting the boiler you wouldn't do a heating system?'

Again, I said, no. It could cause a pickle if there was any issue. Boiler installer would blame my pipework and I'd obviously suspect the problem was the boiler, but neither of us would really be sure. I've seen it done within a firm where the RGI does the boiler and the non-RGI does the rest, but that's different. (Also, a whole list of other reasons, but I kept that to myself.)

'Oh, you talk yourself out of work,' he said, 'if I were a potential customer you'd have lost me with your attitude - it's all wrong.'

Well, if someone doesn't appreciate good advice when they hear it...

Feel free to disagree with me.
Better losing such a customer than doing something illegal and getting perhaps some problems. For such a person I would not like to work anyway, he seems very odd and looking for cheapskate rather than listening to you and doing the right thing. I would off lost him with pleasure.

Nothing illegal about running the water side of a heating system to my knowledge, but why would you bother? On an existing boiler, it would make sense, but not on a new one!

Nothing illegal about running the water side of a heating system to my knowledge, but why would you bother? On an existing boiler, it would make sense, but not on a new one!
I actually meant that when installing a ne one. It seemed like he wanted you to install the new boiler ...

Nah, no doubt he'll find a highly skilled and meticulous RGI to fit the boiler who will be happy to connect it to a system (s)he hasn't designed, installed, or flushed. All he needs now is a plumber to do the heating system to connect to said boiler.

I can see your point, but I can also see his. From a business perspective you should be saying "Yes, I can do that for you" and have a Gas Safe guy you can trust do the gas side of things. You can then liaise with him about the system etc so you are both happy. That way you end up with a happy customer and you have more work.
Have you asked on here for someone Gas Safe registered who is local to you? May be a useful contact if you can find someone.

As I haven't got my level 3 I'm not even qualified to be able to design new heating systems (which don't mean I can't though). That said, I think that is a good idea mfgs and I will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
Just a thought but can you overdose the system...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
Back