Soil and surface water | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil and surface water in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pm1

On a Victorian block of flats the roofer is recommending connecting gutters into soil stacks and removing the downpipes. The block is 3 storeys high with a basement and approx 40m. The drainage is all on the rear elevation of the block and at the moment there are 6 soul stacks and 6 downpipes.

What are the advantages of doing this and what are the risks?

Advantage is it would look much neater but disadvantage is the potential for blockages within the soil stack (presumably running inside the building).

Not something I'd like to have done. Imagine a jackdaw falling in, drowning then getting stuck somewhere in the soil pipe. Then imagine the puzzle of where the smell is, the cost of accessing the pipe, the difficulty of the job, the repairing afterwards, etc, etc.

There are good reasons for having the system designed as it is. Being Victorian it's obviously shown the test of time. Not sure much of our present plumbing will be around in another 100 years or so.

I'm not saying, "Don't do it" but I am saying that I wouldn't do it/have it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
D
Personally, I would coordinate with the other...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
P
All an AAV does is let air in not out, so what...
Replies
Views
No mate just a example they are the sort of...
Replies
Views
Back