Soil boss help? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil boss help? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyparty92

Hello all. Why is it that all the soil bosses I fit leak? I cut a 57mm hole in the stack clean the burs off I make sure the four little marks on the inner side of the boss fit in the hole nicely then put plenty of solvent weld about the boss and where it will fit on that stack apply it quickly then tighten up the boss nut? But when I test it after I have left the glue to dry for 24 hours I always see a tiny leak why?

I always rough up the surface of the 4" before glueing. Im not sure whether this promotes adhesion or not but i dont seem to get any leak. I do have some solvent cleaner which came in a lighter fluid type container but i dont use it unless the PVC is particularly dirty.

grease and dirt gives leaks, bit of sand paperto roughen up before applying glue works for me

No I don't use cleaner it is a brand new soil pipe very clean. Use sand paper? Ok thank you guys :).

new pipe still has residues on them that cock up the glueing process

Never ever have used cleaner. Always used glue on the MALE AND FEMALE part. So when u push it in you get a nice ring around the edge then smooth it off with finger. Test it even a hour after glueing and NEVER had a leak with solvent weld!

Make sure u get a good solvent weld. The cheap stuff is pants!

Forgot to say aswell, where possible i always use a boss pipe fitting rather than a strap on boss.

I always use boss pipes not strap ons on New stacks only strapons on existing stacks never had a problem when using on old though cut hole clean burrs and pipe glue on fitting and pipe push together job done

Yeah it's a strap on boss. So I need to use a gap filling solvent cerment?

Cheers jacko so just apply a bit around the hole I guess then tighten up?

Yes, you also have a bit more time with the gap filling cement as it takes longer to dry.

With strap on bosses i apply glue to the fitting that goes around the hole and around the hole i drilled. Also glue the arm that stretches around to tighten.

Dont like strap ons, prefer 3 way bosses.

If the soil has been painted, make sure u remove the paint or the glue wont hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If the coupling fits, then no need for what I...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Yes you can solvent weld it to the grey pipe...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello. I'm connecting a long run of 50mm...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
Back