soil pipe and smell | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss soil pipe and smell in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

questionJB

Hello, I'm in process of buying a small 60s bungalow and the toilet has lots of scale. The house has not been lived in for 6 months and there is beginning to be a bit of a toilet smell in the bathroom where the toilet is situated. I looked today and the soil pipe seems to be behind the toilet. There's like a clay rim dish which goes into the floor and then a more modern thinner pipe going into it. Looks like ancient practice!

Can anyone kindly advise me what this is and whether it needs to be replaced and what it will cost roughly?
My neighbour said the external soil pipes were originally abstestos but I don't seem to have one of these. Could this one be abstestos and is it likely to cause problems?

Thank you so much.

Sounds like a normal clay drain that your toilets connected to.....like most of the houses in this country built in that time

The smell might be due to a basin,bath or toilet trap losing its seal as the bathroom hasn't been used for a while

running water through them will restore the trap seal

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. It's good to know that it is probably alright and can be left if I run water through it. Yes, it does look like a clay drain into the floor and not abstestos, but I was worried about it!:wacko:

Asbestos tended to be used for the vent pipe sections of soil and vent installs tbh. Its probably a lack of water sealing a trap as mention by 0808.

more important check your water tank is clean and not full of mould before brushing your teeth in the bathroom and run the kitchen tap for a while to flush it out, then wack up the hw/heating to kill all the bugs in the hw cyl before your first bath.

Thank you once again - the response is wonderful and it makes me feel less vulnerable in such adventures! Does it mean that there is no danger with the abstestos (possibily in the vent sections) and yes, there was a good deal of muck and cement etc in the cold water tank in the loft. So I understand that I should give everything a really good run, get water in the traps and clean out the water bugs and that everything should be alright?! That is good news!

Last edited by a moderator:
The clay pipe may have originally been sealed with hemp and cemented over on the rim, over long periods of no use the hemp can dry out and the cement recede or crack slightly, these will allow drain pong into the room, so will the loo not having enough water in the bowl to create the seal from the trap built into the toilet.

I certainly learnt a lot in a short time. I must get some water at least into the trap as soon as possible until I can do the other things to clean the system. I am very relieved that it will not mean replacing the soil pipe! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
Thank you
Replies
Views
That's a really good point. I'll test it with...
Replies
Views
Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Poly pipe gap-filling cement will be great.
Replies
Views
Back