soil pipe leak - help please! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss soil pipe leak - help please! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chester79

I have a leak in my upstairs bathroom ceiling directly below where the soil pipe exits the roof. Please see pics below, I think rainwater might be getting through the gap on the right side of the pipe where the pvc pipe meets the lead pipe.

It has been leaking for about 2 years but has now caused a small hole in the bathroom ceiling!!!:eek:

Any help or advice very much appreciated, I have bought a mushroom top with air vents to let the gas escape but am now thinking this will not stop the leak?

Thanks

link to larger pic of below:

[DLMURL]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4296/soilpipe.jpg[/DLMURL]

th.189e39aed7.jpg

th.35f0840369.jpg

th.1065455e5f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Go up to your loft to see if the water is coming from the pipe when its raining.
If not i think its a slater or roof tiler you'll need to have a look.

cant get to the loft to see this part of the roof, there is a false ceiling with no way of seeing above other than moving a small halogen spot light fitting and shining a torch through, which I have done and cannot see anything.

There is so little water coming through I think it would be difficult to spot anyway, the hole in the bathroom ceiling is about an inch in diameter and has been caused over a 2 year period due to me not fixing the problem sooner, but now the wife is not happy!!!! :mad:

Do you not think it could be the gap I have pointed out between the pvc pipe and the lead pipe? water that goes down the soil pipe would drain away but if water was getting inbetween the 2 pipes this might be causing the problem? I am guessing and hope you might be able to confirm?

I could well be coming from the lead, a roofer is what you need really. it could be a lose or cracked tile also.

You need to fit a weather "skirt" onto the soil pipe just above the lead flashing. Its basically a plastic ring with a sloping skirt (edge) that you slide down over the soil pipe and then solvent cement into position. If you go to a builders or plumbers merchant you will get one OK and when you see it, all will become obvious. Be carefull on the ladder, make sure you have someone to foot the bottom.

Hi as Nick said but you can cut a band from an old inner tube and stretch it over the lead/pipe joint. Good Luck

its logical that water will find its way to that hole and 2 years in british weather is a lot of rain water

You need to fit a skirt to make a seal basically and stop water geting to the gap

Thats the kiddy. Slide it over the pipe down to the lead, mark the position of the top of the skirt, slide it up, apply solvent cement around soil pipe below your mark, slide skirt down over cement, job done !

another example of poor plumbing.how much would it have cost to do it properly,if the lead is defective get a proper plumber to fit new lead slate,then fit weather skirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks Shaun and Last Plumber. I checked the...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Poly pipe gap-filling cement will be great.
Replies
Views
A
It’s mainly because of the boss eg pipe into...
Replies
Views
Thank you
Replies
Views
Back