Soil pipe leaking, and diy inspection? | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil pipe leaking, and diy inspection? in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

I’ve had a rodent problem in the loft (I know they are in the drain because I saw rats in inspection chamber). The soil stack appears intact in the vertical loft section and vented at roof. I’m pushing the insurance to get a drain survey (water company did cctv the drain and said no defects).

I suspect where the vertical then goes into the horizontal with a turn is the problem area. The first drain guy sent (only for unblocking) said the bends can drop etc and as I know rats are there they might have made a hole. No sewer smells but the concrete doesn’t look dry around the collar.The photo is not great but there is water around the collar. Waste would be falling from 1st storey onto the bend so not sure if it splashes up?

I do have my own WiFi endoscope which I used to look in the cavity where the cold mains comes in and there is definitely nesting activity there.

What is the in the photo on the pipe? Is it an access panel on the pipe before it goes into a collar? Silly question but I presume it’s threaded with an O ring seal. As it’s old if I open it is it likely the seal fails? I did try getting my camera through a capped basin waste into the main soil but was on the small side to get into the main stack.

Cobwebs indicate no rodents but nesting material indicates they may have got in there in the past. Probably up through the cold water services entry.

Attachments

• 75B95211-9420-434E-B24B-DB530C967DB6.jpeg
    75B95211-9420-434E-B24B-DB530C967DB6.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 51

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Best thing to do first is to read the relevant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Go to the next access manhole and check that...
Replies
Views
Yes you got it 👍 Merry Christmas
Replies
Views
If the coupling fits, then no need for what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
Back