Soil Pipe - no cap | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil Pipe - no cap in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bird869

Hi all,

I have just noticed that top end of my soil pipe in the loft doesn't have a cap on it. It doesn't smell but seems like it shouldn't be open.

Can someone advise? Should it be capped? Or am I being a worry puss.....

If it is open, then it will need either a air admittance valve to let air in but not out of vent, OR it would need put through the roof & just a cage to prevent birds getting into it.
Capping may result in the toilets, basins etc, drawing the water out of their traps as well as a build up of gas.
It may be the only vent point on your soil pipes & therefore needs vented open to outside or a air admittance valve to inside or outside.

Last edited:
Thanks Best I'll look into that. Looks like someone's done half a job. Just happened to move the loft insulation and there it was, big hole!

I couldn't get my head right above the pipe because of the angle of the roof, I put my fingers down it there was nothing immediately there. I also got the wife to flush the loo and it sounded very open but even with a valve on I suppose it would :)

Are you sure you don't have a roof tile vent some times you connect to these with 4 inch flexi pipe

Nothing cut in the roof near it! I was looking to see a roof vent with the bathroom extractor in mind but nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun and Last Plumber. I checked the...
Replies
Views
B
I wouldn't bother even trying. Water jetters...
Replies
Views
here is an update of job finished , i ran a...
Replies
Views
I got a Floplast boss strap from Screwfix...
Replies
Views
Back