Soil pipe problem?? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil pipe problem?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackspaven

Having a boiler fitted and the plumber noticed the small bit of 110mm pipe from the toilet to the outside drain on the flank wall fitted years ago, which actually went through planning no problems, is orange and not grey and just mentioned in passing that eventually it'll possibly have tiny cracks which might develop where it wouldn't if it was the grey stuff.

Anyone have any ideas if there's summat I can cover or paint on it to stop the sun from messing with it? Don't fancy digging out the mortar and the drain again to change it if I can help it! It's virtually just a 90 degree bend thats exposed from the mortar to the shingle above the drain.

Having a boiler fitted and the plumber noticed the small bit of 110mm pipe from the toilet to the outside drain on the flank wall fitted years ago, which actually went through planning no problems, is orange and not grey and just mentioned in passing that eventually it'll possibly have tiny cracks which might develop where it wouldn't if it was the grey stuff.

Anyone have any ideas if there's summat I can cover or paint on it to stop the sun from messing with it? Don't fancy digging out the mortar and the drain again to change it if I can help it! It's virtually just a 90 degree bend thats exposed from the mortar to the shingle above the drain.

Why didn`t you ask the plumber on site this?

He's not on site anymore and even if he was I think it's wise to get more than one opinion and make a decision based on all possible info. So therefore your answer is...?

Ordinary Gloss paint.
No primer just gloss.

Lightly sand the plastic first.

Forget it. Q and A's say not suitable for exterior use. Just box it in!

Be too late and damage will already be done. Get it out and replaced.

Everybody has missed the whole point of the original post.
The question was really about how to protect the orange soil pipe from uv rays.
Answer is simple and inexpensive - buy some spray sun block (about factor 50) and spray over all the soil pipe that is above ground.

It's not cracked or split in the slightest, just a thought for future in case it does go that way. I'll look into the sensible suggestions made on here, thanks. ;)

It was never mentioned at all by the building inspector, otherwise I'd have used the grey stuff. At least I know why there are different colours now, although since the cost is roughly the same, I'm still not sure why anyone bothers with the orange if the grey is that much sturdier! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks Shaun and Last Plumber. I checked the...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
D
oops I didn’t read it properly.
Replies
Views
If the coupling fits, then no need for what I...
Replies
Views
Would cap both off separately cut just below...
Replies
Views
Back