Soil Pipe Question | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil Pipe Question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neil-uk

Hi Guys,

I have a small office which I am looking to re-do the toilet of in the sense of the decor and also the toilet, sink etc.

Unfortunately I can't upload any images to show you?

In one corner, there is the soil pipe connection, which comes from the ground from the sewer. There is then a T Junction attached to it, with my toilet connecting off one of the junctions.

However, going through the 'top' of the T Junction is around another 5' or so of pipe and then a cap on the end, with what looks like an air inlet/intake about 2".

This is a big eye saw, seems pointless and I would in an ideal world like to box the bottom T Junction, but ideally remove this 5' length of random useless pipe.

So what I wondered is whether I can remove whats seems to be a useless section of pipe, or if it has to stay there for some kind of ventilation regulation etc wise?

And, if it does have to stay there, whether I can box (then tile) over it?

Sorry if my description is vague, if only I could upload a picture!

Cheers
Neil

It's a durgo valve or AAV in today's money. And from your description an undersized one at that. As your stack isn't vented to outside air it is needed the reason for it being high is it needs to be above flood level I.e above the highest outlet like a wash hand basin.

so long as it is made accessible for repair it can be boxed in

as above but your aav needs to be open to air, if you box it in it needs to be accessible and have a vent in your boxing in, but it will still look neater than just the aav

Thanks for the help guys. I shall follow your advice.

One question what is the valve/why does it have to be there? Is it to stop a vacuum forming inside the pipework?

yes thats exactly why its there but it depends on the drain layout you might be able to cut it down to 2 ft high and cap it known as a stub stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks Shaun and Last Plumber. I checked the...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
B
I wouldn't bother even trying. Water jetters...
Replies
Views
Thanks yes I've seen that but it doesn't give...
Replies
Views
D
oops I didn’t read it properly.
Replies
Views
Back