Soil stack alterations | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil stack alterations in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marsaday

I am going to add another toilet in my attic. I am also moving my toilet on the first floor closer to the soil stack.

1) Can i get my soil stack rebuilt before i put in the horizontal connections to each toilet. or is it best to build the soil stack to the first outlet and get that in and then build up again and get the second connection in ?

2) What is the best hole size to core out ? Is 110mm ok ? or should i go for 150mm ?

3) i have at the top of the soil stack a whole piece of cast still. I will need to cut into this to fit my new 2nd toilet. Should i dismantle my soil stack in plastic lower down before i do this so i dont get any bits in the stack (put a lid on it while doing the cutting).

4) Whenb reconnecting up to this cast piece do i use a slip coupling to get the stack into place ?

Hi.No.1 Providing you work out the required fall on soil pipe run from proposed WC. position. Putting up the stack and branches shoud not be a problem.
2. 150 mm gives a bit of room and allows for any collars that might clash with wall.
3. Difficult with out seeing but perhaps replacing the top section of the stack with plastic may be a better option. If only to relieve the plastic stack from being the bearer of the cast iron mass in the event of fixing failure.

Thanks.

The problem with removing the full cast iron is that it goes throught the eaves section and then through the roof. I can do all this work, but it will be eaier to leave the cast in place. It will have one cast bracket holding it on the wall and then it goes through the eaves and this is also holding it in place some what.

I have a tower scaffold up ready to do the work, so do you think i should remove the cast fully ?

Your better off removing all the cast and do it all in plastic its a bit more work for you but while you have the scaffold up you might as well do the lot than do half a job then have problems in the future

With cast pipe once you start mucking about with it it tends to break/leak quite a long way from where your working - because i suppose its so ridgid/brittle. So I would replace all with plastic.

centralheatking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
https://www.monsterplumb.co.uk/floplast-110mm-x...
Replies
Views
Yes sorry :D noticed I missed liquid off
Replies
Views
Hi Steve, Thanks for posting. Could you post...
Replies
Views
Back