Soil stack woes | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil stack woes in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clandyuk

Hi, Newbie desperate for some advice :confused:

I'm trying to fit a Bath waste into the soil stack.

Bought a normal strap connector and opened up the panel around the stack, only to find that the soil pipe is in a corner and hard against two walls.

Did some Internet browsing and found a MultiKwik Easy Boss connector in Wickes that seemed would fit the bill - blurb says no straps/glue etc and can be placed
easily. Ha, not in my stack!

Having cut the hole (57mm) I now find that the boss won't "fix" into the stack.
Maybe its too thick (just under 10mm) or the fact that its an old black hessian and pitch pipe (1960's house).

Have just spent the entire evening trying to get it to seat properly, but no go.

I can get cable ties around the pipe, but can't find a fitting that incorporates them into the boss design - does such a beast exist?

I'm now thinking about cutting a normal strap boss and glueing it with cable ties.
Is this a viable option? Would Gripfix or somesuch be suitable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Andy

Well, having had a good night's sleep on the problem I decided that I was placing too much emphasis on fitting it "as intended" and not enough on getting the job done!

Have now just fitted it using the tie wraps and sealant which, if I'd have thought about it a bit more yesterday, performs the same function (holding it immovable against the hole).

Fingers crossed and onwards to more problems to be solved!!

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
unfortunately your lack of experience is catching you out here, you dont glue a strap on boss to a pitch fibre stack, it just wont work, as you know now. the best bet would be to cut out a section and fit pitch fibre to plastic connectors with a proper boss branch, in the short term you could get some tar based sheet to temp fix the hole till you sort out what to do, a cowboy fix would be to use some tar based product to seal a connector into the stack but it is a very temp short term fix to plug up the hole you have made

Kirkgas - yup you're right, experienced in life but not in plumbing.

Anyhow, have used the Easy boss which has a wide section all around around the hole piece and gives plenty of area for the cable ties instead of the "in pipe" fixing (which doesn't). By my reckoning the cable ties do exactly the same job in holding the unit in place as there is no pressure to worry about, just location - time will tell.

Your suggestion of cutting out the pipe might be the final solution, but as the pipe is hard against two walls in a corner and with two water pipes hard against it on the third quadrant (1960's builders/plumbers didn't worry about movement/maintenance obviously) if it comes to cutting I really will hand over to an expert ;).

Thanks for replying.

when your next lying in your bath holding 150 litres, remember when you unplug it that your handy work is stopping that water from flooding your bathroom, if upstairs it will run downstairs running acroos light fixtures and electric wires, honestly matey its not worth bodging it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

https://www.monsterplumb.co.uk/floplast-110mm-x...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
If poss i would run to outside to stack.
Replies
Views
I take it that there was nothing there...
Replies
Views
Hi all, i normally hang around in the gas safe...
Replies
Views
Back