Soil Stack | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil Stack in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joanna

I am re-installing a toilet, basin and shower into a room that used to have just a toilet and sink. This is in a third floor flat in an old Edinburgh tenament. There is a toilet in the room next door and I think they are both on the same line. I am unable to check the situation regarding the soil stack as it is out of sight - in an internal shaft in the centre of the building. I am just concerned that I may have problems with siphonage and leakage at some point out of sight. Any suggestions, comments greatly received.

You ought to be able to check/inspect the pipework from where you want to install to where it will connect with a known good part of the system.
You don't want any surprises when you first flush!

I got called out to a flat above a shop which had been empty, when they ran the bath taps it poored into the shop!! The shop fitters had kindly cut through their bath waste as they thought it was an old copper waste no longer used.

You should also check with the regs on length of pipes and points of entry to prevent problems, if it's syphonage then you can get special traps to prevent it.

or do the right thing and vent the line, then there will be no syphonage

Thanks for the tips, I will vent to prevent syphonage and have tried to check as fully as possible by pouring water down waste pipes.

also make sure where the toilet waste enters stack the other toilet aint adjacent on the same stack - this will cause a prob (ie cross flow) and is against the water regulations in the uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
Yes sorry :D noticed I missed liquid off
Replies
Views
That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
Yes I use one to two wraps of this around the...
Replies
Views
Back