Soil vent pipe inside flat | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soil vent pipe inside flat in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cristina

I have just moved in a rented flat (Housing Association) , ground floor in a two storey listed building. The small toilet has no window or external fan, but there is a Heat Recovery Ventilation System and a vent in the ceiling. Due to smell in the toilet, a surveyors visited the flat and uncovered a soil vent pipe (which was encased in a wooden box) terminating in the toilet, 70 cm above ground. He seemed to be concerned about this, (he said it should have been outside the flat), but also by the fact that, been a listed building, it would have not been possible to vent it externally, and was suggesting perhaps sealing the pipe. I am a bit concerned about this and I would like to find out exactly what the regulations are regarding this, and whether this is an acceptable solution. I would appreciate any advice.
Many thanks,

Cristina

Attachments

• vent pipe.jpg
    vent pipe.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 54
Hi, don't seal the pipe!!!!! the thing on top is a air admittance valve, to let air in when the loo is flushed. It may be faulty and not sealing properly, letting the smell into the room. Or not opening properly and when you flush the loo it pulls the water out of the sink trap that you have going into the stack. They very rarely go wrong, but like anything in life, nothings perfect.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
as suggested you probably need to replace the air admintance valve and extend the svp to above the toilet cisterns water level as per regs.

any decent plumber will be able to put it right in a hour or so.

as above tell the surveyor to get more training and get a plumber in.

As above raise height of sub stack and replace air admittance valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I think its a case of stick with the...
Replies
Views
https://www.pipekit.co.uk/marley-hdpe-concentri...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Thank you
Replies
Views
Ah, yes, that makes sense. Thank you KOP...
Replies
Views
Back