Solder fitting with water present? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Solder fitting with water present? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Was adding another radiator to existing pipework under the floorboards. After draining down, tried fitting a solder tee onto the existing pipework - it all seemed bone dry but leaked afterwards as some water must have been present in the pipe.
Ended up using a compression fitting as it was hidden, but how do the trade get around this?

We dont do compression under floor boards. Big grey area. Apparently you can have them in an access able place. So not under carpet etc.

Any how. When you had cut the pipe push the pipe down so that any excess water drains underneath the floorboards stick a teatowel or a wet vac underneath it and suck out any extra water. If you want to solder use mapp gas and this burns at a higher temperature burning any excess water in the pipe work to steam so that you are able to make a solder connection.

I just increase the flame on the blowlamp, drain as much water out onto old towel and if you're with someone else get them to hold the pipe upwards with a pair of grips or something, so the water runs away from the fitting you are soldering. Nothing better than seeing the solder FINALLY run round after numerous failed attempts.

compression fittings are fine if fitted well. Yes end feed is better and if possible should be used but there are loads of heating systems fitted many years ago using compression fittings that have never had a single drip.

as for water in pipe a wet vac is very helpful, but most times a good lung full of air down the pipework can be all that is needed.

We dont do compression under floor boards. Big grey area. Apparently you can have them in an access able place. So not under carpet etc.

Any how. When you had cut the pipe push the pipe down so that any excess water drains underneath the floorboards stick a teatowel or a wet vac underneath it and suck out any extra water. If you want to solder use mapp gas and this burns at a higher temperature burning any excess water in the pipe work to steam so that you are able to make a solder connection.
Only applies to gas.
Compression on wet pipework is fine if done properly in this situation.

I try and avoid soldering under the floor personally - although a lot of my jobs are fixes rather than installs . . .

Went on a building site recently and did 3 inch iron with hemp ect - what a ridiculous amount of time was spent just on a small area of pipework!

Admittedly it is nigh on indestructible once in (under the floor in most instances!) It took two of us with a chain wrench and a 5 foot stiltson to wind on the 3 inch fittings!!!!!

It is similar with soldering copper in the time and expense to do it (whilst competing with prices!) It seems a shame to hide nice shiny copper pipes under the floor anyway.

I don't understand people who seem determined to hide every pipe they come across - now iron that is ugly and so is JG!

In a fix like this though I would be going for compression . . .

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
It’s definitely soldered as it would not hold...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Doesn’t really answer any of my questions but...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
No
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage...
Replies
Views
Back