Soldering copper and then... | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Soldering copper and then... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Friends

Have you ever soldered a joint and then had to undo it?

Can this be done in reality?

Regards to all.

Rocket

Yes you can undo a soldered fitting......

Add flux to outer joint,heat up slowly and pull apart

Then heat fitting slowly,wipe out any excess solder in fitting to allow pipe to be refitted ,then flux pipe again , refit and resolder

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was at college they used to do it all the time and re use the fittings to save money.

It is quite a simple job to remove a copper fitting once it has been soldered.
Apply heat as if going to solder. Hold onto fitting or pipe with grips and when
the joint starts to bubble solder a couple of twists and a gentle pull and it will
come apart.
Keep the heat on all the time untill the join is apart.

Has to be done.

Like the last time I done it. 4pm on a Friday. Boiler had to be working. Didn't solder proper. Took it apart. Cleaned it and redone it. All good in the end

It is quite a simple job to remove a copper fitting once it has been soldered.
Apply heat as if going to solder. Hold onto fitting or pipe with grips and when
the joint starts to bubble solder a couple of twists and a gentle pull and it will
come apart.
Keep the heat on all the time untill the join is apart.

Yeah, and when it makes that squeeking sound I cringe. Or is that just me?

just remember to be prepared...... where are you going to place the hot fitting/s? what are you going to use to clean the end of the pipe while its still hot? how are you going to protect your hands from heat?

i would wear googles and gloves as you may get some steam and spitting. After you have done it a few times it will become just like any other part of the job.

if you are applying heat forever and never getting it hot enough to melt the solder then there is still some water left in the fitting

You don't have to clean it. Just flux (can get away without actually) and resolder.

Re-heat fitting and use wee grips to ease it a part if you need to re-use bit you take it off wire wool show make it smooth but wont take off the solder

Just heat gently & keep sideways strain on the pipe till it moves in joint & then remove fitting by tapping it. Immediately rub solder off pipe with cloth.
If you are reusing a Yorkshire type fitting, remember that the solder will not pass the part where the solder ring used to be, when soldering " upwards ", as the capilliary action is stopped there. Okay to solder on level fitting or downwards.
Take care that 2nd hand fittings are clean inside, - if not, then clean with emery paper.

As Howsie said, you don't actually need to flux it again if it is tinned properly.

I never resolder fittings unless they're big expensive ones. After it's been heated off it normall looks bobbins.
Get it off and redo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello where are you located ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
It’s massive in size so if under a floor it’s...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am just catching up on some threads...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Normally the same dia is used in solder so 3”...
Replies
Views
Back