Sole trader apprenticeship question | Plumbing Courses | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sole trader apprenticeship question in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

Hi all,

Was looking for some advice as I've been looking online for answers but can't seem to find any relevant ones, maybe as there's a couple different aspects to the question I'm asking.

I'm a sole trader, predominantly fitting kitchens & bathrooms, fair bit of call out work for leaks etc. I'm looking at taking on an apprentice as workload has been increasing for a while now and could do with some extra help, plus I'd like to be able to provide an opportunity to a young lad as I don't think there are enough of them out there.

My main question is what are the criteria I need to satisfy in order to register? I trained in carpentry but did a plumbing level 2 diploma at my local college in 2017, and have been doing plumbing related work since. Do I need a level 3 qualification? If so what might be the easiest route into that?

I've read that as a sole trader you can either set up as an employer and pay wages through PAYE, or use an apprentice training association (ATA) and let them do it all for you. Anyone had any experience with theses ATAs? Basically want to do the one that causes the least headache. Not averse to doing the PAYE thing but I previously ran a company and found the whole set up & maintenance of it annoying and confusing at times.

Thanks for anyone able to offer any help, let me know if I've posted this in the wrong subforum.

Cheers!

If you are looking to be the WBR (Work Based Recorder) for an apprentice's NVQ, I think you need 5 years' experience working as a plumber OR the NVQ2. So if you are already working as a plumber, you may be alright from that point of view: check with local college for confirmation as I may be out of date with my information.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Brenns, sorry to bring an old post up but...
Replies
Views
Hi PythonCrazy, I'm interested to know if you...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I...
Replies
Views
per week before all the bits get taken off...
Replies
Views
Thanks a bunch mate that's really useful. I'll...
Replies
Views
Back