solid fuel stove to oil heating system | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss solid fuel stove to oil heating system in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tipperaryman

Hi im thinking about fitting a stove to my existing oil heating system. Ive a open fire in kitchen where i want to fit stove my hotpress is 5.5 feet away from this location. kitchen floor is same level as hotpress floor and my hot water cylinder is sitting on the floor. the oil heating is a sealed system which i will have to remove and install a F&E tank in the attic and run new feed and seperate vent pipe to some walls will have to come down as its a 3 story house. I want to do gravity as if power failure id be safe... can this be done as cylinder is lower than new stove

No, you need flow and return to rise away from heat source, basic physics required for gravity/confection circulation

Last edited by a moderator:
ok ive looked at hotpress again and can raise my cylinder up appox 350mm its located under a stairs so not to easy. Then my flow pipe on cylinder would be appox 350mm above the flow pipe on stove and the return pipe on cylinder would be appox 250 above the return pipe on stove again only 5.5 feet from stove to cylinder would this be enough???

I wouldnt attempt to install anything like that, I like the cylinder to be on the first floor to get a decent convection/gravity circ going properly. others may disagree, but Ive been stuck in the past trying to get airlocks out of cyls without enough vertical difference between them and the heat source for me to want to install one like you describe.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks for that if was to put on first floor would be a utter nightmare with pipework think ill have to settle with my open fire

I'd be inclined to try that, but I'd use a twin coil cylinder and keep the 2 systems completely independent.

was hoping to use the indirect cylinder that i have install already would it not work with just the 1 coil

It 'could' but the expense of doing it properly and altering a perfectly good sealed system would probably outweigh replacing the cylinder and doing a better job of it. It would also make life a lot easier and save any potential problems with the link up.

its not just a case of teeing the stove into the oil circuit and slapping an f & e in the loft, but without seeing the job it's impossible to say how involved it is.

Last edited:
yeah i understand every install is different i am going to change sealed system to a open vent and way but to get pipework from attic to hotpress which is located under stirs will be a night mare as its a 3 story house

the pump at the minute is installed on the flow pipe on beside the oil boiler which is outside

You cannot tee a solid fuel to an oil boiler in the same loop, potentially dangerous and illegal.

You need a twin coil cylinder and open vent, or a thermal store system.

I understood he was binning oil for solid fuel, may have misread but not sure now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Are you using just the multi fuel or the oil...
Replies
Views
One thing I might add. We too are in a similar...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Have a look at a heat genie system link...
Replies
Views
Back