Sound of running water but nothing is turned on? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sound of running water but nothing is turned on? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Water is constantly running through the cold pipe that leads directly from my stop tap through a few meters of pipe along and then upstairs. I can clearly hear it (and so can the rest of the family)and feel the vibration caused by the flow of water through the pipe. When I turn the stop-cock off it stops. Nothing is turned on. Toilets are full and not leaking. No problems with anything water-using fixture save a slight drop in pressure you'd expect when more than one appliance is being used at the same time. After hours of searching no signs of a leak anywhere. And this has been going on all weekend so if there was a leak I'd presume water'd be everywhere given the sound is noticeable. No wet ceilings, no sound of spraying water under floorboards etc. Very confused as I think I've eliminated everything. Can anyone help please?

It's a mid 50's council property. Concrete floors. No signs of a leak from upstairs. The bathroom is directly above a part of the kitchen where I know water would come through (previous with son!). Celing plasterboard is dry and solid - sounds hollow when I tap it. Pressure in shower is lower than normal but still working fine. No sound of a leak from bathroom but it's the only water up there (upside down glass on shower tray etc). Could it be an external leak simply transmitting sound along the pipe? Thanks

50s council house. No signs of an internal leak and the sound has been there all weekend. Bathroom is directly above kitchen and from previous with son (!) I know where water would leak through. Ceilings are solid and hollow sounding when I tap them. No signs of an external leak, but could the sound from an external leak transmit along the pipe? (when I turn the stop tap off the same vibration is still on the external side). Thanks

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the tip. I have an outside tap so...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A competent plumber will have the kit and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds like you’ve gone from low pressure to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Kop, thanks for the reply. No water storage...
Replies
Views
A
Turn water supply off and see if it stops.
Replies
Views
Back