Special fibre washer for gas boiler connection? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Special fibre washer for gas boiler connection? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
I fit mainly ideal boilers and they come with a blue coloured fibre washer that is specified for the gas connection to the boiler. Can anyone explain why a fibre washer used on gas has to be different for the ones used on the wet system? Thanks.

I fit mainly ideal boilers and they come with a blue coloured fibre washer that is specified for the gas connection to the boiler. Can anyone explain why a fibre washer used on gas has to be different for the ones used on the wet system? Thanks.

They don't they just need to be the full face ones (not the ones you use for tap connectors)

Fibre washers intended for water will expand on contact with water. A gas washer will not, if you bubbled a gas washer and it expanded it may leak when it dries and contracts. Gas can also penetrate and deteriorate certain fibres that water will not. Same reason hemp cannot be used on gas.

Really I did not know. I always use it on long screw. Infact did a long screw on my last ACS with hemp. But I'm due to re-take ACS in a couple of months, 5 years is up. So maybe it's all changed again. Forever moving the goal posts!

Yes probably just on the change over

Still do some buildings that are still holding with hemp

Oh well been in the game since I left school some 30 odd years ago and still learning. This industry never stands still and keeps you on your toes...Good job we have to refresh and re-sit every 5. Think my next might be my last though.

TBH I would still keep it up even if you just do break downs and servicing

Oh well been in the game since I left school some 30 odd years ago and still learning. This industry never stands still and keeps you on your toes...Good job we have to refresh and re-sit every 5. Think my next might be my last though.
Due to retire Darren then ? or just had enough ?

i am retiring this march would have been my last would have taken me to 65 but made the decision not to bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
N
Plastic hydro block best replace as it’s...
Replies
Views
D
Although, I believe, fitting your own boiler –...
Replies
Views
Back