srvicing a back boiler!? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss srvicing a back boiler!? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WPH

ive recently qualified and registered on the gas safe register as a domestic installer,ive worked on commercial for the past 8 years.now my real problem is ive started my own business and im not into turning work down,ive been asked to service a back boiler now i know whats involved in doing it,cleaning catchment space and the like but when i had a look i couldnt see where too start dismantling it,i also didnt want to end up with it in 100's of pieces and no clue what bit went where
any help would be greatly apreciated
cheers
justin

I don't do gas but just one thing for you Justin from your post. Firstly congrats on the passing and starting the business, and i know what you mean about not turning work down, but don't be afraid to say no or walk away from some things.

i completely agree,if it was beyond me id turn it down,but if i dont learn now ill never do it.
the other thing is the follow on work that will come from it.
just for reference its a non condensing baxi bermuda

as above its an old baxi bermuda non condensing, funny really i went to re-light it because the "heating just wont work" the lady had just moved in and didnt have a clue what a back boiler was

I usually start by removing the fire front ... :) (feel free to smack me now)

But on a serious note, Simon's right ... don't be to afraid to walk away. Do you have a mate in the trade? Perhaps you could pass the job to him if he allows you to tag along and watch.

If you can get the model number in advance, manufacturers instructions will also help you tremendously.

as above its an old baxi bermuda non condensing, funny really i went to re-light it because the "heating just wont work" the lady had just moved in and didnt have a clue what a back boiler was.
lol im getting little hints (remove gas fire check)
well i do know a couple of people but there "too busy"

I'd get someone who you know to go with you on your first one, thats what I had to do when I first qualified. There's loads and loads to check on these so you could leave yourself wide open if something was missed.

I worked for a day with a bloke serviceing them to get used to them, by the end of the day I could dismantle one, at the time I was not self employed so granted it was easy for me to arrange this with the firm.

far too much involved in this simple job if you dont know how to dismantle it, ok you need to do it to learn but you need to do this type of thing with someone who knows what they are doing till you suss it out, as per usual the stock phrase is use the MI's, you will need both the boiler and fire MI's to get all the checks, in its simplist form it is an easy job, first thing to check is the ventilation BEFORE you even touch the appliances, any less than 90% of required vent makes it AR so thats your starter for 10, if vent ok, and depending on who you are doing the job for (Landlord etc, do a TT if required/desired/agreed etc etc etc) remove fire, clean around boiler and check flue connection, visual on catchment area to ensure all is sealed, gas rate boiler to see how it is performing, clean lint arrestor at injector, depending on gas rate strip clean inspect burner and injector, check burner pressure against data badge, increase BP to max to do spillage test, refit fire, strip and clean as required after gas rating, do spillage test FROM POINT AS PER MI, NOWHERE ELSE, some Baxis have specific wee match spigots at the left hand side of the heat exchanger on the fire, do another spillage test with boiler on max and fire on max, if all is well, check for extractors, tumble driers ceiling fans etc, then re do spillage tests as required, return boiler BP to previous setting, clean up and bale out after getting tea and cash, i bet i have missed something, if so someone will gently remind me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really not the sort of job you wanna be doing without a little bit of experience. I would advise getting someone to go along with you and run through it with you.

Where abouts is the job? Someone on here who is local may be able to help you out with it.

Yeah i strongly agree with the above posts, you need some experience with someone if not touched one before.

If you rip out any old boilers you can practise stripping them apart for servicing etc, I remem doing this on an old back boiler when i was an apprentice. There good boilers, and like the guys say above you probs want some experience in stripping them if you have never met one before. Like any boiler, put back together wrong could be deadly.

Download the M.I's , print em off and take em with you. If the customer asks why you've got to use the instructions if you're supposed to be a qualified gas engineer (I had this once!) simply explain that each gas appliance has different heat inputs, burner pressures etc and the the only way to get the correct info for the particular appliance is to refer to M.I's. And if the Discambulberatedballjointwheelhousebearing is not tightened to the correct torque, the appliance will explode, killing or maiming anyone within a 10 foot radius! That generally shuts em up!

Last edited:
Download the M.I's , print em off and take em with you. If the customer asks why you've got to use the instructions if you're supposed to be a qualified gas engineer (I had this once!) simply explain that each gas appliance has different heat inputs, burner pressures etc and the the only way to get the correct info for the particular appliance is to refer to M.I's. And if the Discambulberatedballjointwheelhousebearing is not tightened to the correct torque, the appliance will explode, killing or maiming anyone within a 10 foot radius! That generally shuts em up!

haha only once??????? i have forgot the amout of times that has been said to me, with the other classic "eh son do you know what you are doing, you have been here for about an hour and still have it in bits, the last few people have been in and out in 1/2hr"

i would defo not touch it if i didnt know exactly what i was doing , I have done loads over the years with out doing half the checks Kirkgas mentioned due to no MI ,

far too much involved in this simple job if you dont know how to dismantle it, ok you need to do it to learn but you need to do this type of thing with someone who knows what they are doing till you suss it out, as per usual the stock phrase is use the MI's, you will need both the boiler and fire MI's to get all the checks, in its simplist form it is an easy job, first thing to check is the ventilation BEFORE you even touch the appliances, any less than 90% of required vent makes it AR so thats your starter for 10, if vent ok, and depending on who you are doing the job for (Landlord etc, do a TT if required/desired/agreed etc etc etc) remove fire, clean around boiler and check flue connection, visual on catchment area to ensure all is sealed, gas rate boiler to see how it is performing, clean lint arrestor at injector, depending on gas rate strip clean inspect burner and injector, check burner pressure against data badge, increase BP to max to do spillage test, refit fire, strip and clean as required after gas rating, do spillage test FROM POINT AS PER MI, NOWHERE ELSE, some Baxis have specific wee match spigots at the left hand side of the heat exchanger on the fire, do another spillage test with boiler on max and fire on max, if all is well, check for extractors, tumble driers ceiling fans etc, then re do spillage tests as required, return boiler BP to previous setting, clean up and bale out after getting tea and cash, i bet i have missed something, if so someone will gently remind me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not forgetting the flue flow test.

WPH. As others have said working on BBU is another kettle of fish and is not something I would take on without having seen it carried out a number of times by a good engineer and then being watched doing it myself. I will guarantee you will struggle for the first few times. I had a bit of an argument just yesterday with someone who claims to be able to do a complete BBU service in under 40 mins. Absolute utter rubbish!

Impossible to do a proper service a bbu in 40minutes. Takes me more than double that lol.

First time I did one (with M.I's) it took me 2 and a half hours! Old lady did keep trying to fatten me up with tea and Grandma cake though!!

I love getting stuck into an old back boiler service, it feels like I am doing something worthwhile which is a feeling I don't really get with modern boilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Working at a flow temp of 30 ? As a dt of 30...
Replies
Views
Did you get paid yet?
Replies
Views
The water leak needs to be sorted out first it...
Replies
Views
Back