Steam used to heat a commercial dishwasher | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Steam used to heat a commercial dishwasher in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone have any knowledge of using steam through copper pipe?
Can you use solder or will it melt? Can special flexes be used?

I don't know. I have limited experience with steam. I only worked on steam pipework once about 6 years ago. The copper part I am sure was all brazed brass fittings, I don't remember using any compression joints.

You can't use copper on steam except Table Y copper on condense pipework. You can't use standard compression firttings either, they have to be table Y flared fittings.

You're better off hard piping in steel.

What you have to remember is you have steam at 120degC + at a minimum of 4 bar! You get it wrong and peple get badly hurt!

In all honesty I don't touch steam if I can help it. It scares me, the insurance ramifications alone are frightening! If you can palm it off, I'd do so!

Must have been the condense that I was doing in copper then. I remember doing steel aswell, job was spec'd to use stag paste as jointing compound on the thread and it leaked for fun. Spoke to the guys who were installing the steam cleaners and they said use PTFE, so we did and it was fine. When it leaks its pretty damn scary.

Must have been the condense that I was doing in copper then. I remember doing steel aswell, job was spec'd to use stag paste as jointing compound on the thread and it leaked for fun. Spoke to the guys who were installing the steam cleaners and they said use PTFE, so we did and it was fine. When it leaks its pretty damn scary.

That is all we use ptfe, on threaded steel

There are flexes on the dishwasher but pretty sure they are made for steam.
Was table y the stronger copper or weaker than the standard table x?
Reason I ask is because tried to undo a extremely tight nut and the copper buckled!! Quite badly tbh!

This install is reduced down to 1.2 bar for catering appliances. Why can't you use compression out of interest ? At this pressure I would have thought it was ok, the steam run to the appliance is copper with compression gate valves For isolation.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks for the reply @Timmy D thats a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I agree. (I hold domestic, commercial and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://www.toolstation.com/flat-tap-washer/p25929
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am just catching up on some threads...
Replies
Views
Back