Stick with Oil or switch to LPG | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stick with Oil or switch to LPG in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi
Currently using an Regular Oil central heating system with water Cylinder and water tanks in the loft. Unfortunately our oil tank has a big crack in the top of the tank, so will need replacing.
Only problem is, we can’t decide wether or not to stick with oil or move to LPG.
The situation is:

Stick with Oil
•pay around £1500-£2000 for new oil tank which would need new fire walls etc (new regulations)
•keep our old 22 year old boiler and old heating system (non combi)

•eventually pay for new oil combi boiler (around £5000 all in, im guessing)

Switch to LPG

•recieve a free LPG tank from supplier or cylinders

•get a new LPG combi boiler fitted, old heating system modified for the combi. For a price of around £3000ish (guessing)

I’ve been looking at the price of LPG compared to oil and at the moment LPG seems slightly cheaper.

Anybody have any experience or advice with this sort of thing would be much appreciated?
Thanks

I’ve found people stay with oil, if they have the room! Customers have said oil is cheaper to run , buying oil at cheaper times can also save you a lot of money, I have an oil combi at home (3 bed detached house) costs us about £500- £600 a year to run as long as your smart with buying oil rather than waiting until your basically empty. To be honest I don’t personally know much about the costs of running LPG but down here in Cornwall there are a lot of remote places without mains gas and majority of our customers seem to stick with oil.
Hope this helps

Why change to combi. LPG boilers are also available as non system or system. Anyway I would stick with oil.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
S
OK then, good luck with it 👍👍
Replies
Views
update on this, attached the Kinetico HE water...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back