Sticking toilet flush. (Photo) Worn part needs replacing 10 year old internal loo | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Sticking toilet flush. (Photo) Worn part needs replacing 10 year old internal loo in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

365drills

Had this loo for 10 years so with an average use of 5 flushes a day its gone through 18,000 push cycles.

And now its getting stuck.... I tried greasing it, cleaning it, bleaching it, descaling it.
But I guess time is the enemy.

Question: Are these easy to replace? Is it simply a matter of turn off the water, unscrew. Replace?

Or are we talking whole toilet removal ? (The loo is glued to the tiles)

STUCK.jpg

White button gets stuck and its getting worse. 10 year old flush. Easy replace ?

Re: Sticking toilet flush. (Photo) Worn part needs replacing 10 year old internal lo

If you can match it you should be able to twist the body anti clockwise a quarter turn and disengage the whole flush mechanism from its lower half. You can then just replace the upper portion which will include new buttons. Otherwise it means taking cistern off to remove the upper and lower portion abd install whatever replacement you have chosen. The consensus on the forum tends to be that the fluidmaster pro 550 is the best dropflush valve for full replacements. I have fitted several and they are good.

Re: Sticking toilet flush. (Photo) Worn part needs replacing 10 year old internal lo

If you remove the flush valve - 1/4 turn anti-clockwise ( or is it clockwise ? ).
What you will probably find that the washer has expanded due to age.
This will cause the flush valve to stick and not seal properly.

You may only have to replace the washer - not the whole flush valve.

Got it! Hoping someone on here can recognise the make / type so I can get a direct replacement. And at least by looking at the direct replacement it will have all the same workings etc so I can attempt to practice away from the loo !!

You've got the pictures, take them to a Plumbing supplies store and see if they can sort you out

See if you can find a name / make on the cistern that will help you even more.

Good idea. I will print off the picture and pop down the plumbers merch. I was thinking of trying to twist off the entire unit but if things go wrong we are down a loo until solved.

Printing off now...

Post a pic on here. Someone will recognise the flush valve .

Big chain merchants are as much use a a chocolate teapot in sourcing matching WC fill valves and flush valves.

Luckily this his place is round the corner, as well as a good indie.

Lunns 01252 548711

Should be able to match it here, if they can't - give up and take WC off wall and replace fully with Fluidmaster.

Just pop it out and take to a merchant mate, or pop it out and look for a make on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I recently moved into a new flat and both...
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun, googling is much easier when you...
Replies
Views
great minds think alike lame
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
B
I'd love to repair this old valve! You need...
Replies
Views
K
Do NOT take the boiler casing off. You need...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back