Stock Control System - Help Needed Please! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stock Control System - Help Needed Please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Sorry if this is boring everyone. I spoke a while back about a stock control solution I was designing for our plumbing business which should help keep track of stock levels etc as our business grows further. I am going to be aiming it at small businesses like mine which hold stock in more than one location and want to cut down on the admin that goes with a business with more than one van, namely: -

1.) Communication regarding what materials have been used on a small job to charge the customer properly.
2.) Ordering across multiple vans at once to ensure stock levels are kept to the minimum necessary and to generate the best buying power the business can.
3.) Generation of purchase orders in a timely fashion to keep the business running effectively.

Basically we are at the stage where the administrator interface (the website) is fully functional from a stock control perspective. I am looking for some users on here who might be willing to beta test the software for me, try and find bugs and also comment on how intuitive and easy to use the software is. In particular I am interested in any constructive criticism so we can make it better.

What can I offer in return? One beta tester will be chosen at random to get a free lifetime subscription to the software when we launch it.

The idea is that staff will be able to quickly scan stock in and out of vans on jobs so that it can be charged to customers in real time. They would do this using any modern phone with an auto-focus camera. I have tried to design it to be as quick and simple to use as possible as a system that is slow and hard to pick up will not get used!!

If anyone is interested in helping me to beta test this please PM me and I will send login details and a link to the software.

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

Sounds a great idea, but for the time saved on paperwork, there seems to be a lot of messing with bar codes. Even the big companies out there don't do this.
Company I served my time with (30 engineers) had a big book in the stores to write in the materials that you took. An order book for merchants and a duplicate book for materials used on jobs.
Actually, your idea is growing on me as we nicked tons of gear!

Yes please Croft. I'm struggling with stock replenishment procedures so this could work well.

Yes please Croft. I'm struggling with stock replenishment procedures so this could work well.

PM'd you Nostrum. Thanks.

@Chalked, I do trust my staff but one reason for doing this is I want to remove the temptation of nicking stock. I think that a simple IT based system is the way ahead. We trialed one from the USA earlier this year. It was really good but ridiculously expensive for what it was and just not affordable for smaller businesses. Did save me a stack of admin work though as the boss.

This is where we have the advantage on larger companies, we can embrace new technology quicker to make our lives easier..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If I did launch it in the end it would most...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It’s a nightmare, van insurance is expensive...
Replies
Views
As a young man i installed a lot of one pipe...
Replies
Views
    • Disagree
I was thinking the exact same i thought SSE...
Replies
Views
yes , the meter for the immersion heater. Not...
Replies
Views
Back