Stop capillary action in curved mixer tap? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Stop capillary action in curved mixer tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Osmo

Hi all,

Wonder if someone could kindly help me.

I have one of those curved kitchen sink mixer taps you see everywhere these days. Trouble is, when I turn the taps off, water then drips out the spout for a few seconds. It's not a leak, it's water trapped in the spout. If I jiggle it, it all comes out.

I was thinking of pushing a thin plastic tube up the spout so air gets in and the water can't be trapped. Would that work?

Many thanks,

Osmo

Buddy i know what you mean, my parents house has the same problem
give your idea ago and let me know how it goes :)

You will always have this problem, the longer the spout the bigger the problem

As you know its not a fault

Try the manufacture, the may do a different syle diffuser for the end of the spout that helps

I've really tried but I cant for the life of me work out why this would bother you. You definately need to get out a bit more.

Is it not a bit like Chinese Water Torture, you dont know when it is going to let go and you find yourself waiting anxiously for it, your right going out more would be a solution.

I've really tried but I cant for the life of me work out why this would bother you. You definately need to get out a bit more.

Thanks for that.

When you turn a tap off and it still drips in large quantities for another 20 seconds, and each drip is on to metal, each and every time you turn the tap off, it's bloody annoying.

You will always have this problem, the longer the spout the bigger the problem

As you know its not a fault

Try the manufacture, the may do a different syle diffuser for the end of the spout that helps

Many thanks, Tom, for the help. I'll try and track down the manufacturer. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a solution to your problem.

Hang a cloth bag with a bit of sponge in it using wire from an old clothes hanger wrapped round the offending spout. When you want to run the tap, bend the wire to move the bag out of the way, then return it after you've turned of the tap. The sponge will absorb the drips and there won't be any dripping noise!

Neat, eh?

PS You can help save the planet by wringing out the sponge from time to time into the kettle when you want to make your tea!

Last edited:
When you turn a tap off and it still drips in large quantities for another 20 seconds, and each drip is on to metal, each and every time you turn the tap off, it's bloody annoying.

quote]

No sorry, still dont get it.

This is a holy batman thread revival however it saved me £60-70 quid so figured take the minute to post the cure to dripping taps on curved tap designs or with capillary issues.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/p...ction-curved-mixer-tap-normal.html#post899925

Its usually a dirty ceramatic cartridge, the YT vid in the link above shows you how to clean the bits and bobs up (few minutes job) and get your tap to stop dripping if you wished you could just buy them from ebay for a few quid.

Another woman on the net bought a different aerator (can get from ebay for few quid) and that also helped the capillary issue for her but I bet her taps cartridge was just dirty!

Took me few minutes to undo and clean and back to normal with no drips:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi. I have a kitchen mixer tap unit with older...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply Shaun. That disgusting...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, I'll give it more welly!
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take flow readings where ever you can. Just...
Replies
Views
Back