stopcock Fitting | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss stopcock Fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cgillett76

Hi guys,

Apologies in advanced if my question is really what this Forum is for. I need some advice regarding a recent issue I had with the fitting from the mains blue pipe to the stopcock. It started with the plastic fitting was dripping. The Plumber used some tape on the thread of the stopcock and screwed back in; when he turned the mains on it split and flooded the kitchen. The BEFORE.JPG shows the fitting cracked. He then came back and replaced the fitting as in the AFTER.JPG.

My confidence is a bit low with the work that has been done ad I'm terrified that when I put stopcock on I will burst the fitting; is this a risk or am I being stupid?

Many thanks for any advice.

Chris

Attachments

• BEFORE.JPG
    BEFORE.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 55
  • AFTER.JPG
    AFTER.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 55
Hi, he shut the water off at the mains in the street and replaced the fitting and switch water on at mains. However, he didn't turn off the stopcock under sink and that is the one that I'm worried about switching off; by that I mean, by turn that on will it create pressure and break the fitting. Or if there was an issue with the fitting it would be failing already with the stopcock open.

Thanks
Chris

I think the answer is get the guy back and get him to demonstrate that everything is working as it should be. If he has already caused a flood then I think out of courtesy he wouldn't mind there is no reason why what he has done would leak or flood again but better to have a pro there just to be safe

The old fitting was probably already split
When he taped and refitted the stopcock it split even more.
I doubt it was the pressure when turned on that split it

might sound a weird question did he take your plinth off under the unit?

Thanks for all the advice, I need to replace a part in the shower and have asked a pro so he can be around when I shut the water off. I'm probably just being paranoid

As the water is turned back on at the street, then the mains pressure is already on to the blue pipe and stopcock where the leak was originally. Probably beyond the stopcock will be okay if stopcock turned on, but the guy should have tested it

I couldn't replace something that was part of a working system and leave the water off and work untested. If I did it by accident and remember in the middle of the night I'd go back if I could. What kind of plumber replaces a burst fitting and doesn't test it before leaving?

The water was left on! The OP is worried that when he now turns it off to work on the shower pressure will build up causing the repair to leak.

Thanks for the clarification. I was thrown by OP's "I'm terrified that when I put stopcock on I will burst the fitting" I see from post No. 3 I had it wrong.

Ta!

The new fitting should be OK.

It has the steel ring around the female thread.
The fitting that burst had no steel ring to hold the plastic together.

The steel ring was fitted to the fitting due the problems like your

Had this sort of thing happen in the past - outdoors -
I would try and avoid using any poly fitting with a female thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Never use sealant prior to applying PTFE or...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Kop, thanks for the reply. No water storage...
Replies
Views
  • Question
1. They are washing machine isolation valves...
Replies
Views
The old adey ones had the same problems the...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
If it was on a job of mine I would cut it out...
Replies
Views
Back