Struggling to get divertor knob off shower mixer tap | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Struggling to get divertor knob off shower mixer tap in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

L

Lambchopper

I've got one of the following taps, but the divertor knob is really stiff and difficult to lift up. It's not helped by the fact the knob itself is a simple straight flush finish so there's nothing to grip on.

http://www.diy.com/departments/cook...-mixer-tap/590865_BQ.prd?icamp=recs&rrec=true

I want to take it off and see if I can buy a replacement somewhere, but I'm struggling to take it off. I've tried turning it (as suggested in YouTube videos), but it just spins and won't come off. I'm guessing I may well be missing something obvious, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

I've got one of the following taps, but the divertor knob is really stiff and difficult to lift up. It's not helped by the fact the knob itself is a simple straight flush finish so there's nothing to grip on.

http://www.diy.com/departments/cook...-mixer-tap/590865_BQ.prd?icamp=recs&rrec=true

I want to take it off and see if I can buy a replacement somewhere, but I'm struggling to take it off. I've tried turning it (as suggested in YouTube videos), but it just spins and won't come off. I'm guessing I may well be missing something obvious, can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

I had recently similar issue an unknown tap. I just used wd40 and it worked fine afterwards, no complaints ever since. I asked her 1 month later and she said it works absolutely fine.

Upvote 0
How old is it? According to your link it comes with a 10 year guarantee.

I've had some success in the past using hot vinegar to free a similar mechanism but the solution (hah, see what I did there?) was short-lived because hard water hates this type of tap. So I'd recommend replacement with a design that is more easily serviceable when limescale builds up.

C.

Upvote 0
The issue is the metal it's made of. They do come apart, but as they are more zinc than brass corrosion literally destroys it by chemically binding it all together.

Apologies, but you are best off binning it and buying a tap made of proper brass - if you can find one.

BTW, make sure the one you buy has cartridges that will give you a decent flow rate and is appropriate for your local pressure. Many, such as Hudson Reed, are only tested at 4 bar so leak like sieves at 4 bar plus.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Timmy D. Thanks for your reply. I'll try...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There’s a screw holding the handles on in the end
Replies
Views
  • Question
You are confusing pressure and flow. Your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks guys. Apologies for the delay in...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Jackpee to save changing boilers and hot water...
Replies
Views
Back